CrazyBoards.org

New BP2 Diagnosis and ADHD meds

Hello, I’m new around here. Doctors have floated the bp2 diagnosis with me for years but it’s come back around to haunt me again and this time I think I believe it. What sucks is that even with all the meds I take at bedtime, my sleep is suffering and I feel horrible (It confuses me that I don’t feel great even though I’m not sleeping, because I thought that was part of hypomania, but I guess that’s another question). The last day I didn’t take my Vyvanse, about a week ago, I slept for 20 hours. I have been taking it every day since then, but we suspect it’s the root of my current sleep issues/possible hypomania. The docs want me to stop taking it for a week but it feels like it’s the only thing keeping me calm and sane right now...I’m going to test not taking it, but I’m wondering how people manage bipolar and adhd together if they can’t tolerate stimulants. I should add that I’ve never had this problem with Vyvanse before a couple weeks ago. 

all my meds right now: 

Vyvanse 

Cymbalta (decreasing!!)

Buspar

Neurontin

Klonopin

Trazodone (also decreasing)

Risperdal (new)

Melatonin

i think that’s it. I apologize if this topic already exists, I’m so tired I forgot to look.

Thanks!

Jules

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Jules - I am not able to assist with your question, but am sure someone will chip in shortly.  I just wanted to say welcome to CB - feel free to contact me or another member of staff if you need help navigating the boards.

Mia (mod)

22 hours ago, julesishere said:

Hello, I’m new around here. Doctors have floated the bp2 diagnosis with me for years but it’s come back around to haunt me again and this time I think I believe it. What sucks is that even with all the meds I take at bedtime, my sleep is suffering and I feel horrible (It confuses me that I don’t feel great even though I’m not sleeping, because I thought that was part of hypomania, but I guess that’s another question). The last day I didn’t take my Vyvanse, about a week ago, I slept for 20 hours. I have been taking it every day since then, but we suspect it’s the root of my current sleep issues/possible hypomania. The docs want me to stop taking it for a week but it feels like it’s the only thing keeping me calm and sane right now...I’m going to test not taking it, but I’m wondering how people manage bipolar and adhd together if they can’t tolerate stimulants. I should add that I’ve never had this problem with Vyvanse before a couple weeks ago. 

all my meds right now: 

Vyvanse 

Cymbalta (decreasing!!)

Buspar

Neurontin

Klonopin

Trazodone (also decreasing)

Risperdal (new)

Melatonin

i think that’s it. I apologize if this topic already exists, I’m so tired I forgot to look.

Thanks!

Jules

Ever heard of/tried strattera? It can help with energy and focus but is not chemically a stimulant like vyvanse 

Your meds are totally different from mine so I can’t say too much. However, cymbalta sent me into a very lengthy manic period and was what messed with me. At first it was ok but as I went up on the dose it was like it turned on me and really messed me up. No idea if it’s doing anything like that to you, just a heads up it can do that. Stopping it didn’t stop a mania in motion but was a start. I personally take Concerta with my lamotrigine and abilify and it works for me, but your meds are totally different so I’m guessing your symptoms aren’t the same. For sleep I found most important is getting up same time every day no matter what, or I get all disrupted. 

Just sharing my experience fwiw, hope some aspect is helpful. 

Thank you both, I really appreciate it. I am going to ask about the Strattera. 

My sense also is that the Cymbalta is a huge problem. I was on the highest dose and basically living in a giant panic attack 24/7 for the past few months. Which you can probably tell from all the anxiety meds I take. They finally called it bipolar 2, a depressive episode with anxious distress and are starting to decrease it. I am also trying to regulate my sleep, my meals, everything. It’s hard...

Off Vyvanse I should add I am sleeping much better. My brain can actually turn off. But I am getting the urge to sleep more and more again. 

I’m bummed, I really liked Vyvanse. I felt a lot more in control for the first time in a while. But hopefully controlling my mood will do that as well. It just seems clear it’s overstimulating me at this point. I don’t know why things just can’t keep working for me. 

9 minutes ago, julesishere said:

Thank you for all the suggestions, they are really appreciated. I’m in a weird place right now because I’m doing an intensive outpatient program and not seeing my regular doc, which is leading to its own set of problems...

How long is the program gonna be?

Re the program I’m not even sure, I told them yesterday I wanted to step up to a partial hospitalization so that probably will take a couple weeks to get into. Meaning it’s this till then. I was supposed to go back to work this coming Monday but I’m terrified. 😫

I know this is a subject change but I need to vent so sorry if this isn’t the right place. I got super frustrated yesterday because I haven’t gotten to talk to my own doc in person since this all started, just one of the other docs in the program. When I asked to speak to my own guy at the beginning they told me they work as a team, ok great. Then yesterday my doctor tried to raise my Cymbalta back up (we were communicating through this poor nurse over the phone) - the other doc JUST lowered it two weeks ago, which I think was the right call. So I had to say no, we went back and forth, I’m thinking does my doc even believe I’m bipolar? Who knows, they won’t let me talk to him directly!?! I’m generally happy with <large HMO’s> mental health services but this is ridiculous. 

So then he said to take an extra Neurontin for my anxiety, which had been awful, and for reasons I can’t explain it seems to have triggered hypomania. It made me euphoric and then I started obsessively job searching (a clear sign for me) and now it’s 5 AM and I’m wide awake, ready to go after 5 hours sleep. Luckily I have program today again...I’m hoping that if they see me in a totally different mood they will...idk what I’m hoping, but I’m stressed out. 

The first time I took gabapentin, it made me kick a hole in the wall in the hallway of my parents' house. My mom called 911 because I was absolutely out of control. They told me I could go to jail or go to the ER to get checked out. It was... a shitty experience.

The second time I took gabapentin, it did practically nothing for me.

Lol, it is feeling a little anticlimactic today. Like yesterday I was high and today after taking my mid-day dose I’m kind of bored. Is this my mood goal?? If I sleep tonight, that will be the tell that it didn’t hype me up again. 

i believe I am now on 3 evenly-spaced doses of 300 mg. Trying to take it around 10, 6, 2.

I have horrendous anxiety. That is my primary problem.  The constant panic. Particularly in the morning. It has plagued me and hurt my ability to work for the past 15 years at least. But it was around 15 years ago that a psychiatrist told me BP II for the first time. I have done amazing off antidepressants with a mood stabilizer right before I got pregnant for the first time but I just didn’t mention any of that to my current doc. The denial runs deep. I thought, I like him and if he doesn’t think I’m bipolar I can’t be. That’s why he doesn’t understand my meds now. I’ve already self diagnosed with ADHD and OCD with him. I’m sure he thinks I’m nuts...or not because I either have all these things or it’s all bipolar or both and who knows because I have the symptoms of all 3.

Sorry guess I’m blogging now 

4 hours ago, julesishere said:

I have done amazing off antidepressants with a mood stabilizer right before I got pregnant for the first time but I just didn’t mention any of that to my current doc.

Do you think you might have postpartum depression? There is an antidepressant indicated specifically for that purpose. It's called Zulresso (brexanolone), and it's an allopregnanolone analogue. Just a thought.

I will say that since I've been on oxcarbazepine (Trileptal) at the dose I'm on now, my anxiety has been far lower (except after November last year when I had a massive panic attack, and I haven't been the same since). Otherwise, clonazepam (Klonopin) and diazepam (Valium) have worked great... clonazepam is a little bit too sedating for me though. I can get away with pretty low doses of diazepam and it helps my anxiety quite well.

Re post partum no, my youngest is 8, but I did have some wild struggles around that time. I always appreciate when someone checks in about hormonal stuff! That doesn’t sound like something that was out when I was going through my pp stuff.  

I believe they want me off all benzos 😫 Though I still take clonazepam, I don’t think my dose really helps me anymore.

I woke up really sad today, what do you call it when you are in a different mood every day and anything can set you off in a different direction?