CrazyBoards.org

Or gay in the mountains, or country-queer, or whatev term happens to catch your fancy. Mostly we just don't discuss it unless we're at a gay bar, a Pride event, with family, or trying to get ourselves killed. I'm one of the latter ones who walks around with emblems shaved into my head (though they're so esoteric no-one knows WTF they mean- a comet for being NONBINARY and a circle for being ACE) and sporting a plaid scarf with a rainbow pattern stripe. A friend wryly inquired if I were TRYING to get the Westboro Baptist Church to show up and picket my individual dwelling? I replied with a poker face that indeed that WAS my aim. Lol. I have been known to rail against the local many tentacled healthcare system here in SWVA (Ballad), but the one GOOD thing that it has done is to (inexplicably) give all patients in ALL of its facilities a surprisingly wide options of gender and sexual identifiers. Knock me over with a feather, you could. AND they insist that their doctors call patients by their preferred pronouns and gender when addressing them in session and writing up reports. So one good thing. But one reason I have for being open and transparent about who and what I am is this: I figure that a lot of people have never MET anyone (that they know of) who is LGBTQ. So if they regularly see someone who is a neighbor, a fellow transit rider, an active community member who does things like help them get their groceries in the car, pay their bus fare if they don't have correct change,  shop at the farmer's market,  walk my dog...i.e. be a normal (and nice) human being, then MAYBE they'll think twice when they hear FOX NEWS or read a FB post demonizing "the gays" or hate speech about trans folk. They MIGHT stop and think, "Hey, they are talking about K-! And that's not right!" Of course, this has also backfired on me, and I've gotten more careful since the election of Cheeto-Jebus to the WH. But I think it has also made somewhat a difference.

Edited by AppalachianBookDust
  • Like 2

Homosexuality used to be seen as a mental illness. Times change and these day I think homophobia is a bit fucking weird and requires some explanation. I'm not gay - don't recall making the 'lifestyle choice' to be straight - and I don't give a fuck. In a good way. Someone once threatened to track me down and kill me just because I was explaining why their homophobia was an expression of their repressed homosexual desires. Some people can't handle the truth. Just suck a dick instead of acting like one.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By mikl_pls
      Happy National Coming Out Day!
      Just thought I would say that!

• By Talky Tina
      In November I saw a new psychiatrist. Dude was a dick. He invalidated my experiences asked me if I've had sexual reassignment surgery, assured me that my experiences within the military weren't all bad and then went on to ask if I'm transitioning because I was sexually abused. Then, after I left the room he misgendered me in front of other patients.

I went to a lawyer about it. They agreed that it was wrong and have helped me draft up a letter. Got the letter sent out in December and I haven't heard anything else. I had a great psychiatrist. The ignorant psychiatrist practices at the eating disorder clinic I was pursuing treatment from. I haven't been back. My eating disorder goes untreated and no one is assisting me with medication. My general physician is helpful and has been prescribing me stuff in the mean time but she grows concerned with my use of hydroxyzine. A medication I affectionately call baby pill because it's not physically addictive and I can't really overdose on. But I've been taking handfulls to sleep through the day. I've sacrificed it to her in hopes of finding other coping mechanisms.

God damnit it's hard to find others that worked so well. I've relapsed into suicidal ideation, food restriction and purging.

I have an appointment with another psychiatrist tomorrow. She's from my general practitioners office. I'm quite scared. Tomorrow. It's tomorrow. I'll get the normal PHQ-9. Answer those boring and tedious questions about suicidal thoughts. Plan? Of course. Doesn't everyone have a preferred way? This... Or that... I mean... damn. I don't need to be inpatient. Just trust me. I'll probably have chronic suicidal thoughts until I actually do die and it sucks that it probably won't be by my own hand.  Just tell me that you think I'm on the best meds for me, put a stamp on paper and then let me leave so I can go through the rest of my day.

---

The therapist I've been working with for six years is ending her relationship with me. She helped me transition and report to the FBI 12 years of abuse. Helped me tell my dad that I was abused and is going to help me tell my mom as well. Then, about 4 months from now we're going to end our relationship. I don't want to. I kind of imagined that her and I would be done when I was 'all better.' Whatever that means.  This is life for me. I guess. a slow ongoing slope of getting better. But probably never actually getting 'all better.' Fuck that. damn. damn. damn.
      ---
      She runs a not for profit organization that targets transgender and other non-gender conforming communities. It's pretty great. I started going there and was blown away. I thought it would be my found family of sorts. It isn't and it wasn't. Mental illness got in the way and some maladaptive skills really screwed stuff up.  I'unno. finding a community is a big deal and I really don't.. I don't know.  I want a family of some sort. I get that not everyone gets something like that. And I wonder a lot if I'm just someone who doesn't.
    • By Youssii
      Hi. My name is Ali, and I'm a man woman agender or some shit person from the UK.

I guess I've joined this site thing because I'm sick of people "protecting" me from my own and others' mental health - my Dad killed himself last year and as far as my family is concerned, I still think he had a heart attack. 

That aside I'm just coming to terms with the fact that I'm going to spend the rest of my life dealing with MDD to varying degrees, and I'm trying to see just how worth it this is, although I suppose it doesn't matter, as I'm not going to kill myself whilst my mother is still alive- I couldn't intentionally put her through what I've had to go through this last year.

It seems like we're living in an age where some sort of fundamental sense of nature/adventure is missing and we're just going through the motions. I'm not sure I want to do any of that.

On the sunnier side of things, if there is one, I'm a student at a London university, studying Ancient World. I'm dealing with trans* stuff at the moment, deciding if I should medically transition to whatever the fuck I am. I've got a shit ton of fairly frustrating counselors who I'm ignoring, and I spend a lot of time in the queer community and volunteering.

Who're you?