CrazyBoards.org

Change of medication, nervous about the move.

Hi Folks, 

I recently visited my PDoc for major depression, I was hoping to have some good news for her but sadly I had to be brutally honest. The past six weeks on Brintellix 15mg has been pretty awful, they did next to nothing for me. Very disappointed in the stuff.

In saying that I've heard many preach about them so I guess they are a good SSRI if you're receptive to that line of drugs. 

Anyway, I'm weaning off them tomorrow and starting Wellbrutin 150g. I've read they are atypical and actually a norepinephrine–dopamine reuptake inhibitor

I've never heard of that type before so if anyone has a few minutes if they could give me some background into this drug and that type. 

Just a FYI, I've tried a few SSRI's and SNRI's and both didn't do much for me, they worked about as good as the Brintellix has done in the past few weeks which isn't much.

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Vadar said:

Anyway, I'm weaning off them tomorrow and starting Wellbrutin 150g. I've read they are atypical and actually a norepinephrine–dopamine reuptake inhibitor

I've never heard of that type before so if anyone has a few minutes if they could give me some background into this drug and that type. 

Are you going to be taking the Wellbutrin XL (extended release version)?   

Edited by CrazyRedhead

28 minutes ago, Vadar said:

Hi Redhead, 

I just checked there and it doesn't say XL on them but they are Zyban 150 mg prolonged release tablets so I'm guessing they are the same?

Oh, okay, I forgot it is sold under the Zyban name as well......If it says prolonged-release, then I would say it is probably the same as Wellbutrin XL............I would recommend taking in the morning, as Wellbutrin tends to be stimulating for most.

I took Wellbutrin XL for a few years, but my pdoc finally took me off it, because she thought it might be increasing my anxiety.    (To be fair, I do have anxiety disorder and OCD, in addition to depression).........It can increase anxiety in some people...

It is a good medicine for many folks here, so I wish you success with it.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

20 hours ago, argh said:

It's basically a substitute amphetamine.

Hi Argh, 

Thanks very much for the reply, I really appreciate it. Could you expand if possible on this a bit, I can't wrap my head around an amphetamine helping someone with major depression. 

I've been on something to do with serotonin for nearly a decade now and honestly it has taken a whole toll on my sex life and drive. I don't know if its either the depression or the meds or both, hopefully its just the meds as its very frustrating. 

I'm interested to see how I am after 2+ weeks which is when the Brintellix is stopped, curious how long it stays in the system. I'd like to be SSRI free so I can get a good sense of this NDRI.

3 hours ago, Vadar said:

Thanks very much for the reply, I really appreciate it. Could you expand if possible on this a bit, I can't wrap my head around an amphetamine helping someone with major depression. 

I've been on something to do with serotonin for nearly a decade now and honestly it has taken a whole toll on my sex life and drive. I don't know if its either the depression or the meds or both, hopefully its just the meds as its very frustrating. 

I'm interested to see how I am after 2+ weeks which is when the Brintellix is stopped, curious how long it stays in the system. I'd like to be SSRI free so I can get a good sense of this NDRI.

@argh might have more to add, but basically Wellbutrin is an activating medication......However, it's not considered a true amphetamine like Adderall or Dexedrine.

Here's a good article about Wellbutrin:  https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/264418.php

As for the Brintellix (it's called Trintellix here in USA), it will take, on average, about 13-15 days to totally leave your system after last dose, although it can vary slightly, depending on the individual....https://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/11/14/how-long-does-brintellix-stay-in-your-system/

Edited by CrazyRedhead

@CrazyRedhead Thanks very much for the additional information and the article, I'll read over it shortly.

I had a feeling it wasn't a true amphetamine as i would have seen it written down somewhere, interesting all the same though. 

13-15, that's quite a while. I think I might expidiate my withdrawal a bit quicker then. I really want it out of my system. 

17 minutes ago, Vadar said:

@CrazyRedhead Thanks very much for the additional information and the article, I'll read over it shortly.

I had a feeling it wasn't a true amphetamine as i would have seen it written down somewhere, interesting all the same though. 

13-15, that's quite a while. I think I might expidiate my withdrawal a bit quicker then. I really want it out of my system. 

Just be careful about expediting too aggressively, you don’t want to add instability into the mix with a rough withdrawal which may make it harder for the Wellbutrin to do it’s job 

@Iceberg Thanks for the input. From what I'm reading the Wellbrutin will take quite a while to work so I guess I'll stick with the 2 weeks weaning off timetable that was set out for me.

@argh I thought I had type 2 bi polar back in December ( wasn't really diagnosed in many years) but turns out that isn't the case, just major major depression. Good to see you're on the same medication as well, I might run a few things by you over the next few months if that's alright. I see where you're coming from with the dopamine and feel good chemical, I can almost see it masking the systems of depression rather than changing them or something along those lines.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks, 

I've been having a pretty awful week and I've a few things on my mind I want to air. 

So I'm about two weeks off the Brintellix 15mg and the brain zaps are still present, getting them every 5 minutes at this stage.. 

The Wellbrutin 150mg is currently in its 4 week and honestly I don't feel anything from it, after a few hours of taking it, it just feels to me like I've had a strong cup of coffee recently and that's about it. Pretty disappointing to be honest. 

I'm going to see my PDoc next Monday so I'm wondering should I approach the appointment saying I need more time or I need to increase the dose a bit more. I'm thinking the latter but I would like to get some insight into it if possible. 

I really don't know what I'll do next if this doesn't work, 10 years of SSRI's that barely kept me going and now this NDRI which at the moment isn't doing anything. 

So if anyone out there has any insight into the matter, I would be most grateful. "" cough "" @argh

Regards

1 hour ago, Vadar said:

Hi Folks, 

I've been having a pretty awful week and I've a few things on my mind I want to air. 

So I'm about two weeks off the Brintellix 15mg and the brain zaps are still present, getting them every 5 minutes at this stage.. 

The Wellbrutin 150mg is currently in its 4 week and honestly I don't feel anything from it, after a few hours of taking it, it just feels to me like I've had a strong cup of coffee recently and that's about it. Pretty disappointing to be honest. 

I'm going to see my PDoc next Monday so I'm wondering should I approach the appointment saying I need more time or I need to increase the dose a bit more. I'm thinking the latter but I would like to get some insight into it if possible. 

I really don't know what I'll do next if this doesn't work, 10 years of SSRI's that barely kept me going and now this NDRI which at the moment isn't doing anything. 

So if anyone out there has any insight into the matter, I would be most grateful. "" cough "" @argh

Regards

I’d just explain the issues, kinda like what u just did, and see which way pdoc leans. Some bump Wellbutrin relatively quick and some prefer the wait and watch, guess it depends on ur symptom severity too 

@Vadar For my husband we saw a little improvement after a few months of waiting, but not a huge improvement so the doctor upped his dose and then there was more waiting but things started to improve gradually from there and eventually he was laying in bed a lot less and his mood improved significantly. 

For me it was a gradual improvement too but I was noticing an urge to be more active, to get things done, to go out... all the things I hadn’t been doing and little by little I felt more like myself again. Wellbutrin is my go to drug for depression. It’s worked for me for 17 years. 

Hi Saint, 

Firstly thanks so much for showing me a glimpse of what you've been through and what the medication has done for you. 

I'm guessing you're spot with the assessment of it being a very slow drug to take affect, it must be if it still works for you after all this time. You must have a pretty good insight into it.

Laying in bed a lot less, that's something I'm really struggling with at the moment. I've no energy all day and no interest in doing anything. I find it hard to focus on anything so I'm desperately trying to find something to pass the day.. when it gets really bad I'm pretty close to go just go out and head to the nearest bar so I can get some relief after a few drinks.

I know some drugs take longer than others but I really can't wait much longer therefore I'm going to make the case to increase the dosage next Monday..