CrazyBoards.org

Stelazine Dose

I have a few pdocs. Fantastic team. But they disagree.

Main doc has prescribed, among other things, 450mg Clozapine, 1.5g Epilim, 60mg Tranylcypromine and 10mg Stelazine.

I was recently upped to 10mg Stelazine from 2mg to control psychotic symptoms. But my NHS pdoc won't prescribe it saying he'll get struck off if he tries it. And I'd need comprehensive heart monitoring.

Who's in the right?

Edited by Simba Cub

7 minutes ago, Simba Cub said:

I have a few pdocs. Fantastic team. But they disagree.

Main doc has prescribed, among other things, 450mg Clozapine, 1.5g Epilim, 60mg Tranylcypromine and 10mg Stelazine.

I was recently upped to 10mg Stelazine form 2mg to control psychotic symptoms. But my NHS pdoc won't prescribe it saying he'll get struck off if he tries it. And I'd need comprehensive heart monitoring.

Who's in the right?

10 per day? Divided doses? That seems like a big jump 

8 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

10 per day? Divided doses? That seems like a big jump 

I went from 2mg to 5mg over a month then up to 10mg about 2 weeks a go. Initially I was given a private prescription for 30 tablets for about £100 but I really need to go back to the NHS to afford it.

Wow that’s pretty heavy. I’ve always been able to get typicals pretty cheap here, I thought they were pretty cheap universally. 

With the heart, it is true that you’d  need to take precautions, or at least get checked because cloz can also mess with heart rhythm... but idk what “comprehensive” would entail 

so the issue isn’t the effectiveness, just that it’s out of bounds for the typical NHS Rx?

https://www.humber.nhs.uk/Downloads/Services/Pharmacy/Guidelines/Antipsychotic medication switches guidelines.pdf

I think this link may explain why he can't prescribe 10 mg. It looks like the max is 8 mg. But I am not familiar with the NHS guidelines. I'm sorry I can't help more.

Trifluoperazine (Stelazine) Is a fantastic drug. I'm on 5 mg twice daily as needed.