CrazyBoards.org
Cerberus

Think of the Poultry

Do you like chicken?

You know, that healthy meat recommended instead of blood-dripping mammalian meat. Isn’t that some kind of cannibalism-by-proxy, properly considered? Far better to eat the flesh of animals that are - let’s face it - not at all that far removed from their dinosaur ancestors. Paleontologists are now showing us that most dinosaurs were feathered, which is to say, positively chickenlike. And one doesn’t have to have that vivid an imagination to speculate that dinosaur might have tasted like...chicken.

Most people don’t give chickens much thought. That might seem a reasonable tit-for-tat, as chickens don’t appear to give humans much thought - or anything else, for that matter. Yet news from France today informs us that the French have, indeed, been thinking about chickens, specifically, these:

image.png.0dbcff462cbcacf7cdb30e4c48d7e6e5.png

Even more specifically, male chicks, or cockerels. Who, by all accounts, look just as yellow and fluffy as their sisters upon egg exit. Here, however, it seems the similarities end and these plucky fellows to a man stubbornly refuse to lay a single egg and no matter how much you feed them they just don’t get as plump and correspondingly delicious as hens.

So they’re thrown into a shredder.

image.png.89fb6f816d6b506ea3ec525a081a8392.png

Yes, these. If they’re boys, they’re thrown into a shredder. By the hundreds of thousands.

The French have now decided this is perhaps not such a Good Thing, and are banning the practice as soon as a practical alternative method of equivalent slaughter can be found. In a masterstroke of breathtaking irony, France lags behind Germany of all places in addressing this eugenic massacre - Germany banned the practice a couple of years ago and are now looking into a method of determining gender whilst still in the egg so the disposal can be done at that stage with a minimum of yellow fluff and truncated peeping.

Great Britain, that bastion of animal welfare, has itself elected not to enact such a ban, considering the swift trip through the shredder a “humane” method of dispatch.

In the United States, people are quite literally knifing each other to get a Popeye’s chicken sandwich and couldn’t give a shit less about the shredded baby chicks that didn’t make it into their fast food. My countrymen. 🤨

My meds have been marginally effective for the last couple of weeks, but what good are they when the world is this?

This Easter when they sell the marshmallow Peeps, signal your outrage with your wallet - buy the bunnies. Nobody shreds baby rabbits...I hope.

• Thanks 2

• t-rex were likely scavengers, and didn't hunt based on latest research
  • roosters are shit heads. Seriously arseholes. If they can't shag something, they'll beat it up for sport. If they can shag it, they will, as often as possible. Imagine being raped half hourly or so, that is living with a rooster

so yes, the in egg analysis is good, IMO

Even as assholes it's barbaric.

(apparently hummingbirds are also real dicks!)

• Like 1

Geese are vicious, but swans are psychos.

It’s occurred to me before that everything tastes like dinosaur...

16 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Yes, these. If they’re boys, they’re thrown into a shredder. By the hundreds of thousands.

In the United States, people are quite literally knifing each other to get a Popeye’s chicken sandwich and couldn’t give a shit less about the shredded baby chicks that didn’t make it into their fast food. My countrymen.

Exactly why I'm a vegetarian.......I could link to some videos that show this barbaric shredding process, but it's probably too graphic for most to watch.

The cruel practices of factory farming need to stop, and this "chick-shredding" is only one of the many horribly cruel things they do, to cows, pigs, chickens and turkeys at factory farms.

I do drink milk, and have cheese, but my organic dairy is purchased from a small local dairy farm that I and my son have actually visited multiple times, and I know their animals are very well treated........Are their products more expensive?....Yes, but to me it's worth it.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Off-topic: Whoa, Nellie. I just saw myself quoted in CrazyRedhead's post, and the system has apparently substituted its alternate emoticon for the one I actually used on my iPhone when I wrote the post. The sad/frowny face emoticon is not the emotion I was trying to express. Who in the hell thought it was a good idea to build a piece of software that decides which emotion you should signal? I'm an Aspie, and even I can tell the difference between what I used and what popped up here.

But I can imagine situations in which big problems could ensue if nuances of expression are important in interpersonal diplomacy; this is no different than a mistranslation of a word.

Scandal!

I shall write a letter to the Times! (no emoticon)

15 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Off-topic: Whoa, Nellie. I just saw myself quoted in CrazyRedhead's post, and the system has apparently substituted its alternate emoticon for the one I actually used on my iPhone when I wrote the post. The sad/frowny face emoticon is not the emotion I was trying to express. Who in the hell thought it was a good idea to build a piece of software that decides which emotion you should signal? I'm an Aspie, and even I can tell the difference between what I used and what popped up here.

But I can imagine situations in which big problems could ensue if nuances of expression are important in interpersonal diplomacy; this is no different than a mistranslation of a word.

Scandal!

I shall write a letter to the Times! (no emoticon)

So sorry this happened, @Cerberus, I can probably just delete the emoticon that popped up when I quoted you....Ok, deletion complete..!!

Edited by CrazyRedhead

3 hours ago, jarn said:

(apparently hummingbirds are also real dicks!)

Hummingbirds are extremely territorial. My dad has multiple hummingbird feeders on his open porch at the edge of the woods, and the competition is brutal. It's like World War I aerial dogfighting.

I had one stop in front of me about a foot from my nose and stare at me down its needle-like beak for almost five seconds once, just long enough to be intimidating.

Just now, CrazyRedhead said:

So sorry this happened, @Cerberus, I can probably just delete the emoticon that popped up when I quoted you....Ok, deletion complete..!!

Oh, no worries CR - I was just mildly surprised, and certainly not offended. It's almost impossible to offend me, unless you're the sort of person who throws cockerels into a shredder.

3 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Oh, no worries CR - I was just mildly surprised, and certainly not offended. It's almost impossible to offend me, unless you're the sort of person who throws cockerels into a shredder.

Thanks......You will never see me throwing baby chicks into a shredder.....I'm a vegetarian.

3 hours ago, Gearhead said:

but swans are psychos.

Well, how would you be if you had to maintain that image of perfection 24/7?

3 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Exactly why I'm a vegetarian.......I could link to some videos that show this barbaric shredding process, but it's probably too graphic for most to watch.

The cruel practices of factory farming need to stop, and this "chick-shredding" is only one of the many horribly cruel things they do, to cows, pigs, chickens and turkeys at factory farms.

I do drink milk, and have cheese, but my organic dairy is purchased from a small local dairy farm that I and my son have actually visited multiple times, and I know their animals are very well treated........Are their products more expensive?....Yes, but to me it's worth it.

Yes, this is why I'm 98% vegan (if I'm out I don't inquire as to whether something has been baked with an egg, and I will eat dairy when out if there's nothing vegan that seems palatable).  That and for health.  

@Cerberus my BFF is a conservation biologist and she says hummingbirds would shock you something fierce!

This is why I'm vegan! That and the dairy industry and fur industry and whatever else exploits and harms animals for profit.

Edited by Melancholya

On 1/30/2020 at 5:59 PM, DogMan said:
  • t-rex were likely scavengers, and didn't hunt based on latest research

I read something different recently. They were at least as intelligent as chimps, cared for their young, and hunted in packs. Fully grown T-Rexes would've been too big and slow to hunt, but younger T-Rexes would've been smaller and faster. So it's thought that a pack would consist of both older, slower, more powerful tyrannosaurs, and younger, faster Rexes cooperating with each other.

I've heard about 'Chick sexing'. That is what it's actually called. It does seem quite brutal to throw an animal into the shredder because it's not profitable. I do get my hypocrisy as a meat eater but... erm? It tastes good? I don't think I'm opposed to eating meat but sometimes the thought of industrialised slaughter puts me off my burger. Animals are more interesting when they're living and breathing, but some of them are also good wrapped in breadcrumbs. Yeah I'm a hypocrite. There's an argument that by refusing to eat meat people are denying their relation to other animals - you won't persuade Lions to become vegan but we're trying to convince ourselves that we're somehow better. Yeah probably bullshit. Are creationists all vegetarians?

4 hours ago, Gearhead said:

But do you know about eyeglasses for chickens?

No, and in the nick of time!

I was beginning to think we might be barbaric as a species.

8 hours ago, Fluent In Silence said:

you won't persuade Lions to become vegan but we're trying to convince ourselves that we're somehow better.

Indeed we not persuade any lions  - like all felines, they are obligate carnivores, which means they must have animal protein to survive. So are seals, sea lions, dolphins, raptors like hawks and eagles, and most amphibians. While we humans aren’t obligated to eat meat, we do have canines among our teeth, which are evolved for meat-eating, not plant-eating.

As to the chicken glasses, that is clearly a ruse to keep chickens from observing that all their boychiks have been fed to the shredder.