CrazyBoards.org

I use it on myself. I think it works. The electrical properties of each stone and crystal must be studied. My theory is that the very mild electricity in the crystals balance the Meridians (See "Chinese Medicine" on Meridians).

Edited by Sephiroth999

On 2/1/2020 at 6:31 AM, Sephiroth999 said:

I use it on myself. I think it works. The electrical properties of each stone and crystal must be studied. My theory is that the very mild electricity in the crystals balance the Meridians (See "Chinese Medicine" on Meridians).

I love crystals, but I've never really believed they actually do anything....but who knows!

One thing I do worry about (speaking of electrical properties) is all the EMF's that surround us! With 5g and more & more tech in our homes. Modern life & city living is harmful psychologically & stressful and there are some studies that link EMF's to cancer. All I know is that I feel refreshed when surrounded by nature, it feels cleansing to me.  I wish there were more little immersive nature spots in big cities to escape all the noise, pollution and technology.

I try to buy a lot of indoor house plants, but we have such little sun, and no outdoor space. it's really difficult to maintain them. My Yucca tree is doing amazing (sturdy resilient guy) but my Succulents are all lacking sun and drooping, losing leaves.

On 2/1/2020 at 6:31 AM, Sephiroth999 said:

Scientific research into the electrical properties of crystals has actually a very long and rich history. Quartz crystals in particular have been heavily studied for almost a century, in large part because of their applications in electronics. Digital clocks and computers rely on the special electrical properties of little quartz crystal components to function.

This here is one of the first scientific experiments on the electrical properties of crystals (performed by the Curie brothers). It dates back all the way to the late 19th century!

Top_view_of_Curie_piezo_electric_compens

I'm pretty sure though that there isn't any scientific evidence that the electrical properties of crystals provide any special health benefits.

Having said that, I share the opinion that crystals are beautiful to look at. And having something nice to look at and focus the mind on is never a bad thing.

Edited by companion_cube
add hyperlink

On 1/31/2020 at 11:31 PM, Sephiroth999 said:

You think that works, do you? And that’s your “theory”? No. That’s your hypothesis, notably unsupported by any evidence other than that you “think” it works on yourself. You seem to be operating under a fundamental misconception - here at Crazyboards, we may be crazy... but we’re still quite sane.

I tried to be clear before, telling you that we would entertain discussion of Eastern medical practice to the extent that such practices are accepted by mental health professionals in the West. That does not include shamanism, witchcraft, faith healing, voodoo or any form of New Age flummery or pseudoscience.

I will try once more to be absolutely clear. This site is Crazyboards, the place people come to when their struggle with mental illness has gotten to the point that they need the advice, comfort and support of their fellow sufferers. Everyone here is suffering. Some are suffering horrifically. All of us are doing the very, very best we can to hang on to sanity and to life itself by our bleeding fingernails.

This is triage. Sometimes we save people. Occasionally, we don’t. But everyone’s MI is taken seriously because MI is serious shit. We battle it with the best known science, and are always looking for and sharing news of treatments known to be effective. We can’t afford to fuck around with wishful thinking, snake oil and placebos.

We will not tolerate bad information, misinformation, or any kind of nonsense meant to steer vulnerable members away from a course of treatment toward false hope.

The internet is awash with places to go - places other than here - to commune with like-minded folk about the purported effects of crystals and suchlike. I have no doubt you could find someone who would claim to channel the spirit of Nikola Tesla to give you a few pointers if that would suit you.

Frankly, I don’t care what you did with whatever crystal you’ve got - I don’t care if you swallowed the damn thing. If you waltz in here and tell a group of people in pain that they can get relief through the mystical electrical properties of anything, you had better have a peer-reviewed study from an accredited research journal to back up what you say.

Or we will shut you down.

Do not test us.

Cerberus

• Like 4

Please let me know if this video isn't appropriate, but I think it explains crystals rather accurately and in quite an entertaining manner. I warn you to not watch this video if you are eating or drinking, because it may be hazardous in such scenarios. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2020 at 2:47 AM, Cerberus said:

You think that works, do you? And that’s your “theory”? No. That’s your hypothesis, notably unsupported by any evidence other than that you “think” it works on yourself. You seem to be operating under a fundamental misconception - here at Crazyboards, we may be crazy... but we’re still quite sane.

I tried to be clear before, telling you that we would entertain discussion of Eastern medical practice to the extent that such practices are accepted by mental health professionals in the West. That does not include shamanism, witchcraft, faith healing, voodoo or any form of New Age flummery or pseudoscience.

I will try once more to be absolutely clear. This site is Crazyboards, the place people come to when their struggle with mental illness has gotten to the point that they need the advice, comfort and support of their fellow sufferers. Everyone here is suffering. Some are suffering horrifically. All of us are doing the very, very best we can to hang on to sanity and to life itself by our bleeding fingernails.

This is triage. Sometimes we save people. Occasionally, we don’t. But everyone’s MI is taken seriously because MI is serious shit. We battle it with the best known science, and are always looking for and sharing news of treatments known to be effective. We can’t afford to fuck around with wishful thinking, snake oil and placebos.

We will not tolerate bad information, misinformation, or any kind of nonsense meant to steer vulnerable members away from a course of treatment toward false hope.

The internet is awash with places to go - places other than here - to commune with like-minded folk about the purported effects of crystals and suchlike. I have no doubt you could find someone who would claim to channel the spirit of Nikola Tesla to give you a few pointers if that would suit you.

Frankly, I don’t care what you did with whatever crystal you’ve got - I don’t care if you swallowed the damn thing. If you waltz in here and tell a group of people in pain that they can get relief through the mystical electrical properties of anything, you had better have a peer-reviewed study from an accredited research journal to back up what you say.

Or we will shut you down.

Do not test us.

Cerberus

Since this thread is called "What the Hell is THAT? Medical, Nutritional, and Lifestyle Alternatives" what is appropriate to post here? There are many vitamins, supplements, diets, edmr therapies, MDMA, mushrooms, psychedelics, hypnotherapy, spirituality, controversial stuff, etc that aren't "proven" or regulated, and in these cases, many people post questions, information and personal experiences here. I guess my question is, where do we draw the line? A small study? Many peer-reviewed large national studies?  There are many legit hospitals that are adopting Integrative/Alternative medicine, Acupuncture, Hypnotherapy, QiGong (OK, not Crystal therapy...) so they must have some benefit?

I don't think the OP had any malintention here, or was trying to "steer vulnerable people away from their treatment"  He/she did not say crystals would "cure you" of disease or MI. However, I do agree, he/she could have been more conscientious to mention that in no way does he/she condone quitting any meds or course of therapy. It can lead to a harmful slippery slope (looking at you GOOP/Gwyneth Paltrow)

Personally, I don't see any harm in posting & having a conversation about alternative therapies, as long as you mention again, that you are NOT condoning quitting meds or evidenced medicine. I totally understand that CB is pro-med and it is not the place for "selling" unproven, non-evidenced therapies. I don't see how the OP was pushing or "selling" this?

Edited by Blahblah
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Personally, I don't see any harm in posting & having a conversation about alternative therapies, as long as you mention again, that you are NOT condoning quitting meds or evidenced medicine. I totally understand that CB is pro-med and it is not the place for "selling" unproven, non-evidenced therapies. I don't see how the OP was pushing or "selling" this?

Blahblah - Your doctor's office is a place where you can trust that remedies will be suggested or offered to you with the knowledge that there is reason to believe they will be effective for you. Similarly, Crazyboards is a place where persons suffering from MI come in search of advice about remedies from people who have a reasonable belief that they will help. This advice is often experience-based, but if there is some question, we require secondary evidence in the form of studies published in peer-reviewed journals demonstrating that they have some effect or at least demonstrating that there is a logical explanation for a physical mechanism that could produce an effect. Why do we do this? Because a large part of what makes Crazyboards a useful and effective resource is the power of the experiential accounts shared by its members, and their ability to guide the behavior of others. For our purposes, the OP began "selling" the effects of crystals per Chinese medicine the moment he wrote "I use it on myself. I think it works."

If I started a topic here and said that I had had a personal breakthrough and discovered that eating Monarch butterfly caterpillars sent my treatment-resistant double depression into total remission, would you try eating those caterpillars? I hope not - they're poisonous, and they don't actually do anything for depression. For all you know, I've finally cracked and become delusional.

In my original counsel to the OP about such topics, I expressly explained that we will entertain discussions of treatments recognized by professionals in a Western scientific medical context as having an effect, or incorporated into or recommended by their practices. If you can show that, as you say, a legit hospital is adopting an alternative practice, then go for it! Shoot the Moon! Talk about it all day! But don't try coming in here and swearing that painting tiny portraits of Katherine the Great onto your fingernails under a full moon cures GAD.

More importantly, we don't promote discussions of remedies whose uselessness is known. In another thread, the OP recommended a treatment to a member, only to then confess that he had no evidence that the treatment worked at all. That, to the Moderating Team, is utterly unacceptable. Any attempt to direct the mental energy, let alone the financial resources, of suffering members to speculative remedies when what they need are remedies with at least some evidence they may work is not acceptable. 

Finally, while we always try to consider members' opinions, such as yours, of what should be acceptable on these boards, I would draw your attention to the third item in the User Agreement that you agreed to upon creating your account, and which states: The moderators have the final say in what content is or is not acceptable on their boards.

This is not a democracy. This is an asylum. We keep the lid on it the best way we can. As you were.

Cerberus

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 5:24 PM, Fluent In Silence said:

I shoved a moonstone up my arse and it made me feel something. Uncomfortable and ashamed mostly.

LOL I have seen worse. For instance lepidolite shaped as a penis.

Edited by Sephiroth999
  • Like 1

I have quartz in my watch! That + a battery + ??? = accurate timekeeping

What about if the forum was called "complimentary" instead of "alternative" medicine, with maybe alternative in the subheading just to clarify because that's still the word people usually use. Alternative sounds like "instead" "complimentary" sounds like "as well" like we talk about a lot of stuff that is evidence based, or just hasn't been tested enough yet but might turn out to be evidence based when there are enough tests, that people use as an adjunct to their therapy and meds and the very worst these crystals can possibly be is a placebo (and cheaper than a lot of placebos) so as long as they are being used as a compliment they aren't doing harm, right? Maybe the title with the forum itself is the problem?

I think it's very different someone saying "this thing makes me feel happy... maybe because magic? check out magic" to "you guys should try this thing instead of your meds" or "you guys should try this thing even though it has a lot of contraindications and will probably stop your meds working" or those things + it's very expensive and involves membership in a cult

If we discourage people from having these conversations here they will go have them elsewhere where they won't have any other perspectives or dissenting voices

Edited by Antecedent

6 hours ago, Antecedent said:

I have quartz in my watch! That + a battery + ??? = accurate timekeeping

What about if the forum was called "complimentary" instead of "alternative" medicine, with maybe alternative in the subheading just to clarify because that's still the word people usually use. Alternative sounds like "instead" "complimentary" sounds like "as well" like we talk about a lot of stuff that is evidence based, or just hasn't been tested enough yet but might turn out to be evidence based when there are enough tests, that people use as an adjunct to their therapy and meds and the very worst these crystals can possibly be is a placebo (and cheaper than a lot of placebos) so as long as they are being used as a compliment they aren't doing harm, right? Maybe the title with the forum itself is the problem?

I think it's very different someone saying "this thing makes me feel happy... maybe because magic? check out magic" to "you guys should try this thing instead of your meds" or "you guys should try this thing even though it has a lot of contraindications and will probably stop your meds working" or those things + it's very expensive and involves membership in a cult

If we discourage people from having these conversations here they will go have them elsewhere where they won't have any other perspectives or dissenting voices

I agree with this summation. I feel posters should be able to be "abstract" as long as they are not trying to steer people the wrong way or trying to get people off of their Dr. prescribed meds etc.