CrazyBoards.org

Catnapper

My ECT diary - first treatment on February 3, 2020

Friday, February 21, 2020:

Today was supposed to be my sixth treatment but I used a tiny snowstorm as an excuse not to go. I live in the Southeast, so on the surface it's a reasonable thing to do, but the truth is that my mood is terrible and I just couldn't face it, dealing with all the people, etc.

I saw my regular pdoc on Wednesday and he noticed improvement, although I didn't really feel any different. I stayed up all night Wednesday, slept the day through, and decided Thursday night to cancel today's treatment. I will go on Monday, and I will let the ECT pdoc know what really happened. I hope missing one treatment during the index series isn't too big of a deal in terms of reducing the effectiveness of the overall treatment.

Goddamn, I am so sick of this disease!!!

Monday, February 24, 2020:

Today was my sixth ECT treatment, and everything went as usual. I told the ECT pdoc that I felt too down and overwhelmed last Friday, so that's why I called and cancelled. She said it wasn't a big deal and wouldn't negatively affect my index series.

Things haven't gotten better since Friday, so it was a real struggle to get there today. My Beck Depression Inventory score was a little bit worse than a week ago - it went from 34 to 37 today, so still "severe depression". Anything over 40 is "extreme depression", which is where I started. 

It's time for bed, and I can't say I feel any better, but I did go to a movie after lunch, so maybe I'm improving and don't realize it yet. I've read that it's often the case that others will notice improvement before the patient, so maybe that's what's happening.

I still don't have any memory deficits, even though the pdoc said today that she's been increasing the dose as time goes on in response to my question about it. She also told me that I shouldn't be alarmed that at six treatments I'm not feeling much better. She said that it's typical for nine to twelve treatments to be done before the patient feels a real change. I'll take her word for it - she's been doing ECT for 30 years so she should know.

And luckily it was a resident and med student-free day today. I think I must be a little claustrophobic since it's a tiny room and it seems crowded with the bare minimum of the pdoc, the anesthesiologist, the nurse anesthesiologist, and the nurse. It makes me uncomfortable to be laying flat in bed and completely surrounded by people who are standing up all around the bed.

Maybe tomorrow will be better...

13 minutes ago, Catnapper said:

Monday, February 24, 2020:

Today was my sixth ECT treatment, and everything went as usual. I told the ECT pdoc that I felt too down and overwhelmed last Friday, so that's why I called and cancelled. She said it wasn't a big deal and wouldn't negatively affect my index series.

Things haven't gotten better since Friday, so it was a real struggle to get there today. My Beck Depression Inventory score was a little bit worse than a week ago - it went from 34 to 37 today, so still "severe depression". Anything over 40 is "extreme depression", which is where I started. 

It's time for bed, and I can't say I feel any better, but I did go to a movie after lunch, so maybe I'm improving and don't realize it yet. I've read that it's often the case that others will notice improvement before the patient, so maybe that's what's happening.

I still don't have any memory deficits, even though the pdoc said today that she's been increasing the dose as time goes on in response to my question about it. She also told me that I shouldn't be alarmed that at six treatments I'm not feeling much better. She said that it's typical for nine to twelve treatments to be done before the patient feels a real change. I'll take her word for it - she's been doing ECT for 30 years so she should know.

And luckily it was a resident and med student-free day today. I think I must be a little claustrophobic since it's a tiny room and it seems crowded with the bare minimum of the pdoc, the anesthesiologist, the nurse anesthesiologist, and the nurse. It makes me uncomfortable to be laying flat in bed and completely surrounded by people who are standing up all around the bed.

Maybe tomorrow will be better...

Are you on bilateral?

3 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Are you on bilateral?

No, I'm on what the pdoc referred to as modified bilateral. In reading up on it, it's also known as left frontal right temporal, or left anterior right temporal. One electrode goes over the left eye / nose area, and the other goes on the right temple.

As I understand it, it affects a larger area of the brain than right unilateral, but still misses the language and memory areas that are affected by bilateral. My knowledge of brain anatomy is still sketchy at this point so I can't give a more accurate description. Apparently the university I'm going to has had good luck with it.

43 minutes ago, Catnapper said:

No, I'm on what the pdoc referred to as modified bilateral. In reading up on it, it's also known as left frontal right temporal, or left anterior right temporal. One electrode goes over the left eye / nose area, and the other goes on the right temple.

As I understand it, it affects a larger area of the brain than right unilateral, but still misses the language and memory areas that are affected by bilateral. My knowledge of brain anatomy is still sketchy at this point so I can't give a more accurate description. Apparently the university I'm going to has had good luck with it.

Just asking because they talked to me about switching to bilateral when I had little improvement after. 6 

also, I believe what your talking about is sometimes discussed under the category “bifrontal” which is newer 

EDIT- sorry that was a mischaracterization. I meant to say that *along with bifrontal it is a new approach. The research I read said it is becoming the best choice for non emergency situations and that switch to bilateral may not offer much benefit (although it hypothetically could.) Apparently there is a “symmetry” effect of the charge that increases side effects of bilateral and the placement your doing avoids that (in addition to the electrode placement being not on a temporal lobe) 

Edited by Iceberg