CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth999

I am highly sensitive to the criticism of others

If it's a negative criticism I sort of lock up. It causes me to only chose situations which cause anxiety. I end only taking a much narrower path in which I can not express myself. A relative of mine called it "a lack of self confidence". Is his statement true? I am good at listening and learning but not coming to an equality through expression. I suppose it is a fantasy to have the entire world see your way, but I still feel ignored. Something is always out of balance socially about me.

Having life long chronic depression means that most negative criticism sticks to me like glue....I ruminate and repeat it in my head over & over. Ever since I was a child, criticism always would override anything positive. Positive statements towards me don't emotionally resonate. This is another reason CBT didn't help, I can rationally tell myself that I am overgeneralizing or painting a "negative" picture, but no matter how many positive statements or affirmations I repeat to myself it's all just empty words. This also shows up as lack of confidence and lack of self-esteem. It causes me to avoid challenging myself.

6 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Having life long chronic depression means that most negative criticism sticks to me like glue....I ruminate and repeat it in my head over & over. Ever since I was a child, criticism always would override anything positive. Positive statements towards me don't emotionally resonate. This is another reason CBT didn't help, I can rationally tell myself that I am overgeneralizing or painting a "negative" picture, but no matter how many positive statements or affirmations I repeat to myself it's all just empty words. This also shows up as lack of confidence and lack of self-esteem. It causes me to avoid challenging myself.

For me it's about expression. Talk therapy was of minimal help to me as well. I don't understand why me being friendly to people, shaking their hands getting to know their names is "weird" to some of those people. It's both a heartache and a headache for me to process. Speaking about strictly IRL situations I can never tell if the problem is them or me.