CrazyBoards.org

Anyone taking lamictal for depression, if so does it work, how long before it works and how much do you take 

I used to take Lamictal. I took up to 400 mg at one point, and I felt flat and numb. At first though it was a miracle drug. It saved my life and many friendships as it kept me from being so manic that I would be argumentative and testy and kept me from being depressed to the point of not giving a fuck about anything, like fixing my very close friendships I was ruining. But it did eventually poop out, and that's when my pdoc elevated me to 300 mg, then 400 mg. We decided not to go any higher than that, and started coming down as I was starting Zonegran for a mood stabilizer, which did work pretty well, maybe not so great on the hypomania but pretty decent for the depression.

If you are on it or fixing to be on it, good luck with it! It has helped a lot of people, myself included.

I’m taking it for bipolar/depression. I’ve been on pretty much every antidepressant The only one that worked was Effexor at 250mg, but caused sexual side effects. I’m now seeing a new Dr. who thinks I have bipolar depression and I’m now up to 325mg of lamictal and it seems to not be working  the only thing it’s doing is making me forget things?

18 minutes ago, mike218 said:

I’m taking it for bipolar/depression. I’ve been on pretty much every antidepressant The only one that worked was Effexor at 250mg, but caused sexual side effects. I’m now seeing a new Dr. who thinks I have bipolar depression and I’m now up to 325mg of lamictal and it seems to not be working  the only thing it’s doing is making me forget things?

How long did it take for you to hit 325? And how long have you been on the 325?

14 weeks. Just started 325 Thursday and hopefully it will start to work soon. Hoping to stay at 325mg

Edited by mike218

Just now, mike218 said:

14 weeks. Just started 325 Thursday and hopefully it will start to work soon. 

I’m at 400... but mostly cuz I wasn’t getting any side effects at lower doses. For me it seems to help as an add on to my cocktail and prolong stability, but when I tried it as a main med several years ago I got nothing much 

8 minutes ago, mike218 said:

Don’t mind me asking, but What cocktail are you taking?

Clozaril, lithium lamictal, inderal, adderall. 

On 2/7/2020 at 6:19 AM, mike218 said:

Anyone taking lamictal for depression, if so does it work, how long before it works and how much do you take 

For me I find that it "prevents" depression rather than "relieves" depression. It works quickly for me, anywhere between a few hours after the first pill to a week. This is one I go on and off. It never looses it's effectiveness either.

5 hours ago, mike218 said:

14 weeks. Just started 325 Thursday and hopefully it will start to work soon. Hoping to stay at 325mg

I used Lamictal for monotherapy for a long time. I'm sensitive to meds. Least side effects compared to other meds. I felt balancing/calming effects at 75mg. Now at 100mg, it's helpful with no side effects (I get noticeable side effects at 200mg, like cognitive fog, forgetfulness, memory issues and word finding issues) I think it's a good maintenance med, but not for acute episodes. It's really pretty "subtle" maybe best for folks with very mild swings...

When my mood starts to go down, I increase it to 125mg, and I add an antidepressant & stimulant.

Edited by Blahblah

3 hours ago, mike218 said:

My problem is I’m sad/mad and idk what what will help?

Can you list everything you're taking currently, as well as everything you've tried in the past, including dosages (if you can remember them)? It would help us help you better.

I’m on lamictal 325 and gabapentin 300mg in the morning and 600 of gabapentin at bedtime. Two many to list the last one I was on was viibryd but that made me nauseous although I only took it for 4 days. Two many to list 

1 minute ago, mike218 said:

I’m on lamictal 325 and gabapentin 300mg in the morning and 600 of gabapentin at bedtime. Two many to list the last one I was on was viibryd but that made me nauseous although I only took it for 4 days. Two many to list 

4 hours ago, mike218 said:

My problem is I’m sad/mad and idk what what will help?

Can you elaborate more/describe your symptoms in more detail on your problems regarding feeling sad and mad?

Sad= nervous and worry all time 

mad= just always in a bad mood even though I have no problems with money,wife or kids. ☹️

2 hours ago, mike218 said:

Sad= nervous and worry all time 

mad= just always in a bad mood even though I have no problems with money,wife or kids. ☹️

This helps a little, but I need a little more information.

Sounds like it could be serotonin dysfunction, or it could be uncontrolled hypomania and anxiety (the latter being caused by serotonin dysfunction).

Of the following symptoms, which do you feel? This isn't exactly the best way to do this, but it's one of the only ways I know how to do it...

• depressed mood
  • guilt/disgust
  • fear/anxiety
  • hostility
  • irritability
  • loneliness
  • loss of happiness (joy)
  • loss of interest/pleasure
  • loss of energy/enthusiasm
  • decreased alertness
  • decreased self-confidence

A few medication questions...

Have you ever taken an MAOI before? (Emsam, Parnate, Nardil, Marplan) 

I'm positive you've taken Wellbutrin... Have you taken Wellbutrin in combination with an SSRI, particularly Zoloft? If so, what was your experience?

Have you taken an SNRI + Remeron?

Have you tried a stimulant as adjunct treatment before? (Either for ADHD or not for ADHD)

Have you tried an atypical antipsychotic for adjunct treatment to an antidepressant before? (I'm sure you have tried many...)

Depressed mood, anxiety, irritability, loss of happiness, loss of interest and decreased self confidence. I have taken a MAOI I don’t remember the name it was a couple years ago. I get a allergic reaction to Wellbutrin so that’s out. I’ve taken many snri’s , but never with Remeron. I can’t take any adhd meds because I get drug tested at work. Yes the only one I can remember is aripipazole. 

I think I might try viibryd, mitzazapine or rameron. Do these have sexual side effects? I’ve also tried California rocket fuel???

Edited by mike218