CrazyBoards.org

Today I sent in my first application for SSDI. At least the mental health functionality one. I haven't sent in the job one because I really don't know how to answer it. I need my social worker to help with it.

My mom also did hers. Goddess, looking at what she wrote was an interesting/painful eye-opener. How I can't think straight, I eat microwave food instead of cooking like I used to, I sleep too much, go through not eating for weeks, need help remembering the dumbest things, and cannot be trusted with sharp objects or plastic shopping bags. Sad, huh?

Also that I'm obsessed with my dead dad (suicide) and hang out at the cemetary all the time.

I'm hoping to get approved, to have the time to figure things out and get my mental health back, if it is possible to do that.

loon-a-tik

Loon: I'm am in the same boat as you I just sent in my application for long term diasability for my employers insurance company, government illness benefit is ending in 1 wk. Showed the apps to my social worker, he thinks it will be straight forward, does not see any way they could deny what the the pdoc and me said on our apps. But I am still going to be checking my mail daily as this is how they will inform me of either 3 things. 1.You have been granted long term disabilty

2. You have supplied insuffectiant information on some questions, please provide

us with the requested info.

3. Your claim has been deinied on the following grounds. however we invite you

launch an appeal.

They told me to wait 4 - 6 wks before I try to contact them to see whats up. Just saw my pdoc and told her really stressed about the waiting so she is upping my seroquel to take 100mgs at night and 25mgs twice a day to combat the dreaded waiting.Anyway I trust you will keep us informed and me likewise. Good Luck

I'm really glad you applied, Loon! I hope it all goes smoothly and quickly for you. I remember feeling really humiliated with the things that people had to write about me, and that was the worst part along with the length of time it took. In some ways, it helped though. My mom really had to sit down and consider my problems out of their individual contexts and look at the whole picture of me. That has helped our relationship.

Good luck to you!

Yeah, I'll keep you posted for sure!

One thing is I got my dad's denial letter in the mail 2 days after I buried him. What assholes. He killed himself and was ultra-BP1, and they denied him.

I just hope I get a cooperative person handling my case and that my mom created a realistic picture of me, even if it was humiliating and terrible to hear. Can't be trusted with shopping bags? Drive like shit? Am like talking to a brick wall? Drive her crazy? Can be a total bitch? Sleep all the time or party constantly depending on my cycle? Those are all true and terrible, but true anyway. SSA needs to know what I do and what I go through.

The weird part is asking me what hand I use. Huh? And if I can use the toilet. Huh? LOL

The weird part is asking me what hand I use. Huh? And if I can use the toilet. Huh? LOL

Not weird.  Remember, you ARE applying for, um, disability.  Not everyone applies for mental disabilities; the forms are set up much more for physical disabilities.

Which hand do you use?  Well, was that the hand that got stuck in the meat grinder?  Can you use the toilet--or does someone have to change your diapers cuz you can't?  (i.e., too senile, have no arms... and let's just not get into colostomy bags)

Think how strange someone who recently got paralyzed may find it if the app asked questions like "are you having hallucinations/delusions" or "when was your last suicide atte,pt?"

There are many disabling conditions; the app merely reflects what the more common ones are.  That's why there's extra room, with invitations to expound on extra sheets of paper, after all.

Archived