CrazyBoards.org

So in one of my Twitter tangents I came across the author of the book the alcohol experiment.

I was curious. Needless to say I’m already in recovery from another addictive behavior and kind of have always been using alcohol as a way to try to “take the edge off” of life.

After a night out on the town of relatively slow drinking compared to those around me I left feeling horrible. Not because I myself drank myself into oblivion. I was just shocked at how many people were stumbling over themselves or vomiting or just acting out of character compared to what their sober selves would have done.

It really made me question my relationship with alcohol and it’s potential to end my recovery process as well as examine my relationship with alcohol since my teens.

That night also made me think about the effects of alcohol on my mood but anyway long story short I decided I’m going to try the alcohol experiment.

30 days dry. Stone cold sober from my second to last crutch. (My last being cigarettes).

the first few days might be rough but I’m excited to continuing listening to the book and examining old subconscious ideas about alcohol and building healthier coping mechanisms when either stressed or irritable.

good luck to me!

• Like 1

Good luck to you! It will be interesting.

Good luck!

Be careful though, because depending on how much you currently drink, you could have a disturbance in glutamatergic and GABAergic neurotransmission and could require meds like acamprosate (Campral) to prevent brain damage, as well as possibly a benzodiazepine to prevent delirium tremens. At least that's how I understand it anyway. And I mean this required for people who drink to extreme excess, to my understanding, which may be sorely mistaken. I guess what I should say is research about quitting alcohol cold turkey for any duration of time, because you may need medical assistance to prevent certain things from happening to your brain chemistry that could be damaging to your brain.

I spout out all this that potentially could be misunderstood on my behalf because I care and don't want anything bad to happen. Both my brothers are alcoholics, one is a recovered alcoholic in remission, amazingly by cutting it cold turkey, and he was probably a case that should've gone to rehab and or sought outpatient treatment with Campral and ReVia or something. My other brother and my sister-in-law are a "functioning" alcoholics, but I believe they have cut back on their intake since my sister's-in-law sister literally drank herself to death. (I don't mean to be insensitive about my wording on that, but that's literally what she did... 😢)

Regardless of all my extraneous blabbering, again, I wish you the best of luck!! 😄 Keep us updated!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Good luck!

Be careful though, because depending on how much you currently drink, you could have a disturbance in glutamatergic and GABAergic neurotransmission and could require meds like acamprosate (Campral) to prevent brain damage, as well as possibly a benzodiazepine to prevent delirium tremens. At least that's how I understand it anyway. And I mean this required for people who drink to extreme excess, to my understanding, which may be sorely mistaken. I guess what I should say is research about quitting alcohol cold turkey for any duration of time, because you may need medical assistance to prevent certain things from happening to your brain chemistry that could be damaging to your brain.

I spout out all this that potentially could be misunderstood on my behalf because I care and don't want anything bad to happen. Both my brothers are alcoholics, one is a recovered alcoholic in remission, amazingly by cutting it cold turkey, and he was probably a case that should've gone to rehab and or sought outpatient treatment with Campral and ReVia or something. My other brother and my sister-in-law are a "functioning" alcoholics, but I believe they have cut back on their intake since my sister's-in-law sister literally drank herself to death. (I don't mean to be insensitive about my wording on that, but that's literally what she did... 😢)

Regardless of all my extraneous blabbering, again, I wish you the best of luck!! 😄 Keep us updated!

Okay thanks for the warning...but I don’t drink enough for any of those things to happen. Lol.

3 hours ago, de414 said:

Okay thanks for the warning...but I don’t drink enough for any of those things to happen. Lol.

Okay good! Glad to hear it! I had no idea how much alcohol you drank regularly, so I just threw that out there as a caution just in case. Best of luck with your experiment! Keep us posted if you can. 🙂