CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
dancesintherain

anxiety = indecisiveness?

anyone found that high levels of anxiety lead to indecisiveness?  like I've been invited to stay with a friend today and I must have gone back and forth on it a gazillion times.  There's really no good or bad answer--I Just have to pick the one that I like/feel like doing.  But my brain has spiraled itself into one big indecisive mess.

yes. I get in logic loops when I'm anxious about something that shut me down, which feeds into the anxiety more, until a smallish thing becomes a big thing.

yes, that's it.  my friend's comment was something like "Dances, I'll be here either way."  Which helped me realize that I was starting to turn something manageable and potentially fun (going to see a friend) into a bad thing.

Hmmm... I can totally relate. For a long time I couldn't make any decision, let alone be satisfied with the end result.

I thought it was because of depression, because it causes indifference. My pdoc said that it is the OCD...

well...

idk

Edited by HydroCat

OMG This is me... I'm so sorry you experience this. My friend noted that when I was on Stelazine as my antipsychotic, my anxiety had not only gone down, but I was a lot more confident in myself and the decisions I made. I no longer took 30 minutes or longer to decide on something in the store, go back put it back, pick it back up again, stand there, scratch my head and sweat with anxiety... I just knew what I wanted to get and made my mind up. Stelazine is the only med that has been able to touch my anxiety, but I don't think it has that effect anymore... It has worn off permanently. I just take it as needed now instead of regularly, and take a higher dose than is recommended for anxiety, so that may be another reason why it doesn't really work.

interesting.  helpful to know it has a likely explanation.  I wasn't thinking OCD, though I do have that acronym among my list of options. But I think knowing that it's possibly anxiety (of any flavor) helps.  Mine comes out mostly when I'm really, really stressed about things (like now).  I'm hoping I'll get less indecisive once my trauma trigger goes away.

20 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

interesting.  helpful to know it has a likely explanation.  I wasn't thinking OCD, though I do have that acronym among my list of options. But I think knowing that it's possibly anxiety (of any flavor) helps.  Mine comes out mostly when I'm really, really stressed about things (like now).  I'm hoping I'll get less indecisive once my trauma trigger goes away.

You have lots of anxiety disorder diagnoses. I believe that anxiety can be a factor in indecision. Remove the anxiety, and decisiveness becomes easier for me anyway. Exploring meds and therapies that decrease anxiety could be helpful. For me, my pdoc went out of her comfort zone at my request to prescribe Stelazine for my anxiety. The only way I knew about it was because my mom told me about how she took it when she was younger basically when it was probably new when she was going through a rough patch. She said she didn't think she responded well to it, but then again, in retrospect, she said she didn't know how she would be without it.

Yeah, I've got a ton of anxiety disorder diagnoses.  My therapist said once that really my diagnostic profile should be "schizoaffective, bipolar type; GAD; and C-PTSD" and let the GAD swallow the OCD and social anxiety disorder.

That said, he's doing separate treatments for the OCD and the social anxiety disorder and the GAD, so I guess there's some merit to having them.  Though he'd probably treat it regardless.

Edited by dancesintherain