CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
survivingbp

Co-morbid anxiety and BP1

I used to be on here a lot when my bipolar was out of control. Thankfully that is a lot better!

Unfortunately, my anxiety is not. On a good week, it is manageable (barely), but there are periods where it takes over everything. My doctors have strongly suggested SSRIs, but I have refused due to them previously making me manic. However, I'm at the point where I do want to go on medication again (potentially even SSRIs) for anxiety, for my own benefit and those around me. 

For people with bipolar, how have you managed treatment for anxiety? Are there any medications that have worked particularly well? I'm especially looking for treatments that are pregnancy-safe (not currently pregnant but hopefully will be in the next couple of years). 

My anxiety is out of control. My house feels like a prison cell. I have resorted to heroin and other drugs but even that doesn’t make me calm like I want. 

• Sad 3

Posted (edited)

@survivingbp For anxiety, I'd start with a low dose of Citalopram, I personally found it to be one of the most calming SSRIs, also pregnancy safe from what I was told. It made me sort of flat, but all antidepressants do that to me. I suppose that is the point, things stop bothering you and sort of "roll off" so you aren't emotionally reactive.

Edited by Blahblah

I agree that SSRIs help. I have Bipolar and GAD too and while i'm not balanced for bipolar my anxiety has decreased for general days. I still panic if put on the spot for something but everyday anxiety has eased since i started the SSRI. Other techniches like practising deep breathing, visualisation and mindfulness have also helped me a lot. Its not a perfect solution but I figure every time I don't spiral into a full blown anxiety attack is a win :D

As for meds and pregnancy, its a tricky subject. Some docs say there are safe meds and some reccomend removing all meds during the pregnancy and breasfeeding period. I suggest doing you own research online or get you GP or Pdoc to give you papers to read.

Good luck :)

Posted (edited)
On 3/10/2020 at 1:37 AM, survivingbp said:

I'm especially looking for treatments that are pregnancy-safe (not currently pregnant but hopefully will be in the next couple of years). 

I found this article that might answer some of your questions about psych meds and pregnancy.

http://www.epigee.org/mental_health/meds_pregnancy.html

Ultimately though, it's something that you and your pdoc might want to discuss,

Edited by CrazyRedhead