CrazyBoards.org

Therapy makes me feel worse...want to quit

I've seen dozens of therapists for 20+ years, it feels totally counter-productive at this point (at least for chronic depression). I always end up feeling worse (before session and after session)....I've read most of the books they suggest, tried all the CBT, DBT, Mindfulness....Longterm therapy is also a huge financial burden. 

I'm feeling really done with processing shit, repeating stuff over & over. All the talking and tracking moods makes me much more self-absorbed than I already am. Then nothing really changes!!! Despite my efforts.

Meds are not helping either, so I feel like a hopeless case. Maybe I just stick to the emotionally numbing meds and just accept that this is my life and I can't change?

What are your experiences?

@Blahblah do you think it could be worth getting a second opinion, since your current course seems to not be very effective? you've tried a lot of meds and therapies, but if nothing is improving maybe its worth getting some fresh eyes in regards to both meds and overall treatment direction 

11 hours ago, Iceberg said:

@Blahblah do you think it could be worth getting a second opinion, since your current course seems to not be very effective? you've tried a lot of meds and therapies, but if nothing is improving maybe its worth getting some fresh eyes in regards to both meds and overall treatment direction 

I'm crashing really nastily right now (trying to change meds) and it is very difficult to find new doctors/therapists (i'm in europe where english is not widely spoken here) so I'm stuck. Took me a year to find a pdoc here. my depression is primarily situational also, which I have little control over. i feel hopeless like nothing will help. when i change meds i just get worse.