CrazyBoards.org

Denied treatment for BED

My weight management Dr would not prescribe me Vyvanse for binge eating that she herself diagnosed me with. She says I have to ask my pdoc for it (who I know will not prescribe it to me) It was very hard for me to open up about any of this. 

Weight Dr wants me to lose weight and not binge but offers no options. Eat protein and fiber, which I'm already doing. 

I'm just frustrated. I am very embarrassed by this and need to get it under control.

If I weren't a "mental patient" she would have prescribed it to me. I guess I'll just gain 60 lbs. back. I'm terrified of that. 

I'm feeling very vulnerable and full of shame. I don't open up about this to anyone and won't to her in the future. 

2 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

My weight management Dr would not prescribe me Vyvanse for binge eating that she herself diagnosed me with. She says I have to ask my pdoc for it (who I know will not prescribe it to me) It was very hard for me to open up about any of this. 

Weight Dr wants me to lose weight and not binge but offers no options. Eat protein and fiber, which I'm already doing. 

I'm just frustrated. I am very embarrassed by this and need to get it under control.

If I weren't a "mental patient" she would have prescribed it to me. I guess I'll just gain 60 lbs. back. I'm terrified of that. 

I'm feeling very vulnerable and full of shame. I don't open up about this to anyone and won't to her in the future. 

Why won’t pdoc give vyvanse? 

12 hours ago, saintalto said:

Stimulants trigger psychosis. For me it happens really quickly. I know it’s frustrating but I think she’s being careful here. You are symptomatic as it is, a stimulant might worsen things. 

11 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Right-  @Wonderful.Cheesesorry brain lapse there forgot your overall Dx 

Thanks for the perspective guys. I was just frustrated I guess. I did have a very bad psychosis and manic reaction from Ritalin. I thought vyvanase might be different but I guess that was wishful thinking. 

3 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Thanks for the perspective guys. I was just frustrated I guess. I did have a very bad psychosis and manic reaction from Ritalin. I thought vyvanase might be different but I guess that was wishful thinking. 

There are other options for weight loss.......Listed in this link, there are 4 other drugs that are FDA-approved for losing weight:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/weight-loss-drugs/art-20044832

The 4 drugs are as follows, and they are approved for long term use:

.....Contrave--(bupropion/naltrexone)....Although this one might not be the best for you because of the bupropion.

......Sandexa (liraglutide)....Only available by injection.

......Xenical (orlistat).....You can actually get this in a reduced strength, over the counter, it's called "Alli."

There is also one called Qsymia which contains topiramate, but I noticed you're already on 200mg Topamax.

I've never tried any of these, and don't know many details about them, so best to ask your weight loss doc if you have any questions.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Ever tried topamax as an appetite suppressant? My doc is trying to get me to consider starting it

3 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

5 hours ago, saintalto said:

If it helps, I binged for years while I was on stimulants. They made very little difference. I had to tackle it behaviorally to overcome it.

Thanks for a good idea. Maybe I can bring it up with my tdoc. 

2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

There are other options for weight loss.......Listed in this link, there are 4 other drugs that are FDA-approved for losing weight:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/weight-loss-drugs/art-20044832

The 4 drugs are as follows, and they are approved for long term use:

.....Contrave--(bupropion/naltrexone)....Although this one might not be the best for you because of the bupropion.

......Sandexa (liraglutide)....Only available by injection.

......Xenical (orlistat).....You can actually get this in a reduced strength, over the counter, it's called "Alli."

There is also one called Qsymia which contains topiramate, but I noticed you're already on 200mg Topamax.

I've never tried any of these, and don't know many details about them, so best to ask your weight loss doc if you have any questions.

Unfortunately I can’t handle bupropion as my anxiety gets waaay out of control when I take it. I’ve never tried the others. I do take topiramate with maybe some success but I really think that getting off of seroquel was the kicker. Thanks for the info. You always provide such good info!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Ever tried topamax as an appetite suppressant? My doc is trying to get me to consider starting it

I am on topamax at 200 mg. I don’t know. It is very hard to say if it has helped me lose weight or helped with lowering appetite or reducing binging. I really think getting off of 800 mg of seroquel started the ball rolling for me in the right direction and that was the biggest catalyst and help. But I can’t be 100% sure, you know? I’d say try it if your dr suggests it. I don’t have any side effects that I’m aware of. My husband takes 150 mg daily and he doesn’t have any side effects either. Maybe if anything a little word finding difficulty but it’s been extremely minor for both of us. Like unnoticeable to anyone else. And it could be just getting old too. Lol I’m 36. And husband is 39. So.

@Wonderful.Cheese I didn’t work with my tdoc to overcome it. I only recently even told my tdoc about having eating issues. I figured out a method that worked for me on my own. I don’t know if it would work for anyone else though. Basically what I did was give myself complete permission to binge whenever I wanted and for a week or so I binged a lot. Then something changed in my head now that I was allowing myself to binge whenever. I suddenly didn’t really want to binge anymore. Sometimes I have to revisit this technique if binging tendencies start to return. Again, this was just my own personal method. It also didn’t fix my issues with food overall, just the bingeing.