CrazyBoards.org

I don't know if it's just me, but I am really flighty while I'm working from home and can't stay at my workstation for more than a couple hours.

I have the freedom to clock out whenever I want, so I do, but I wish I could just get it done.  I'm much better at staying working when it's something I enjoy, like mapwork.

I figure lots of people are going through the work at home adjustment, so I was wondering if people are finding it hard to adjust?

I don't know if I should blame it on my ADD + anxiety and talk to my therapist about it whenever she calls, or a lack of discipline that I have to adjust to.  

The ADD/anxiety piece can definitely be playing a part.

One thing someone told me earlier today--you're not expected to be more productive than you are normally.  So if normally you work for a coupe of hours and take a 5-10 minute break, stay-at-home you can do the same thing. 

I've found myself taking periodic 5-minute breaks to reset myself.  I also took a shower during the middle of the day once. 

• Thanks 1

That really helps. I've been leaving for normal breaks and letting them go on too long.  I think my productivity expectations are a problem, too.

A friend who might be one of the earliest telecomuters was getting nothing done and wearing a bathrobe all day. So... He sets the clock at a normal time for work. Showers and puts on a shirt and tie (I never saw him with a tie ever!) Then he puts his lunch in a briefcase and walks down the street for (I don't know how far) comes around and goes to his garage which now has a desk and a phone plus his work stuff. He tells his wife and kids that they aren't allowed to bug him (Other then emergencies) and to just act like he is gone to work. So..... He tells me he starts working hard because he doesn't know what the rest of us are doing and he starts producing the best work he ever did. And the work load of like 3 people!!! After a while he doesn't need to do the shirt tie and briefcase thing but he said he had to wire his brain that being at home wasn't being at home when he was working.

BTW this pisses off people at work because he is making them look like lazy slobs and they conspire to get rid of him. No one should be allowed to work at home! What jerks.....

I’m not as efficient but work later to make up for it. I had to set up a more efficient work space, I set a 2nd monitor up to my laptop, for example. Although my work space is very cluttered, like my whole house, and that contributes to being less productive. I do take breaks. Mainly I force myself to get started, but if the dog acts up, I get distracted. Eventually I get work done. 

i remember reading something that said that the average office worker gets something like 3-4 hours of work done in an eight hour day. it's very possible that your productivity expectations are too high. when i was dealing with a similar problem, my pdoc had me working in 45-60 minute blocks with a 10 minute break in between in which i was supposed to get up, walk around, and have a drink of water or a small snack. after two or three of these blocks, i got a half hour break. i was also supposed to check in with the people i was living with and ask them if my expected workload was realistic. often, it wasn't.

• Thanks 1

I asked my partner if my expected productivity was realistic and he said I was going to burn out.  I think I'm going to try what you were doing.  

Edited by Banana Smurf
  • Like 1

It's hard, I am perpetually distracted, checking news on my phone, talking to dogs.  I got a little more done today - and I am thinking of putting scheduled breaks, rather than sitting for 3 hours and having crummy focus, I want to get up every hour and do 5 minutes exercise - a couple sets of squats and lunges or something simple like that.  I have high hopes that it will give me the boost I need to focus.  Now I just have to follow through with it.....