CrazyBoards.org

What are some good books on mental illness/schizophrenia

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished The Center Cannot Hold and thought it was great, if that's the right word to use. Helped me understand better what it's like to suffer from schizophrenia anyway. One of my favourite books on mental illness is Shoot The Damn Dog: A Memoir of Depression by Sally Brampton. Funny, sad and honest. An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison is a good memoir about living with bipolar disorder.

Might be off topic Slightly its a book about alcoholism and its called "through a glass Brightly" By a Guy called Nick charles..A true account of his experiences...A really graphic account of alcoholism...Accademic wise a Book By a psychiatrist called "Depressive illness the curse of the strong" By Tim Cantopher is a very good read..Also "Brain lock " By Jeffrey M. Schwartz i found a good book for OCD...A couple of films if its ok to add.." A beautifull Mind" and another good one with Diana Ross about Schizophrenia is Called "Out of darkness" which is a very good film...The full film used to be on youtube but am not sure now??

• 4 months later...
On 3/26/2020 at 7:28 PM, echolocation said:

"the quiet room" by lori schiller comes to mind. it's a memoir by a woman with schizoaffective. i read it a while ago and enjoyed it. 

I've heard about this book earlier.
Thanks. I think, after your recommendation, I should read it.

3 hours ago, Gennadiy said:

I've heard about this book earlier.
Thanks. I think, after your recommendation, I should read it.

I’ve read “The Quiet Room” by Lori Schiller too. I thought it was pretty good. I read it a long time ago. Details are fuzzy. I might read it again. I have schizoaffective disorder bipolar type.

There also is “The Center Cannot Hold” by Elyn R. Saks; if you are looking for books about people with schizophrenia. I haven’t read this one yet.

Or if you are looking for lots of information on the disease, there is “Surviving Schizophrenia” by  E. Fuller Torrey. I haven’t finished this one yet.

I am slowly working my way through “Surviving Schizophrenia” the audiobook here and there. My library has it on their digital page. Your library might have some or all of these books too. Worth a shot! Can’t beat free books! :) 

• 4 months later...

I loved The Center Cannot Hold.  Also good - Manic by Terri Chaney and The Noonday Demon by Andrew Solomon.  Not schizophrenia but about bipolar and depression and I related to both very strongly and they are excellent writers.  There was also a schizophrenia/schzoaffective book by Mark Vonnegut (son of Kurt Vonnegut) called "Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So" that is very good 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Complicated toad said:

I loved The Center Cannot Hold.  Also good - Manic by Terri Chaney and The Noonday Demon by Andrew Solomon.  Not schizophrenia but about bipolar and depression and I related to both very strongly and they are excellent writers.  There was also a schizophrenia/schzoaffective book by Mark Vonnegut (son of Kurt Vonnegut) called "Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So" that is very good 

I also liked Andrew Solomon's Noonday Demon (about depression). It had a good mix of scholarly/history stuff as well as first person experience stuff IIRC. I keep meaning to read more stuff he's written about other subjects (because he writes so well and covers topics so in depth and thoroughly) but my attention span is very short.

@aquarian  If you pick up another Andrew Solomon book, I recommend Far From the Tree.  It's big like the Noonday Demon, but each chapter covers a different topic so you can read it in sections.  It includes chapters on schizophrenia and autism.  The premise is about parents and their experiences having children with unexpected differences.  I went and listened to him when he spoke at a university near me, I admire his writing a lot.  He also has a couple of good TED talks If you don't have time for a long book.

• Thanks 1