Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

 

 

Scotty From Marketing (Our Prime Minister, Scott Morisson) is giving pensioners 2 x $750

 

This is not to stimulate pensioners in any way. The idea is the "we" are crap with money, and will spend recklessly, thereby stimulating the economy. Higher income earners would apparently do stupid things, like make mortgage and credit card payments

 

The trouble is, I want for nothing ATM. Maybe in part from junk mail ceasing, adverts incresingly being virus related etc.

 

So far, I have $200 earmarked for a nice, Australian single malt whiskey. 1 bottle lasts me a year or two. But that is Aussie made that I can buy.

 

I have enough guilt being on disability already, now the cunt gives us $1500 and leaves out most of the population

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hopelessly Broken said:

When did it become 2? 

same time that they doubled the dole for 6 months

 

you get one or the other on centrelink payments. If you don't qualify for double rate then you qualify for double $750

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, I only asked because I got tired of seeing his face and hearing him so last I heard of it was when he spoke about it for the first time. He's a fucking prick and just for that I will be putting what I get in savings, so up yours ScoMo. There are more polite and civil ways to stimulate the economy you stupid fuckhead. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

Ah, I only asked because I got tired of seeing his face and hearing him so last I heard of it was when he spoke about it for the first time. He's a fucking prick and just for that I will be putting what I get in savings, so up yours ScoMo. There are more polite and civil ways to stimulate the economy you stupid fuckhead. 

I think second one is early July. I know it is a while off yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean, being realistic, it isn't like there's much to even spend on anyways. And it isn't like all us pensioners haven't forcibly adapted to having such a piss poor income either. Only spend mine on basics, and most of the time it doesn't even cover those. I've not even been able to buy groceries this fortnight because Coles and Woolies have suspended their online services, including delivery slots, where I live, and I'm not far from an area that has a large percentage of my state's cases, so I will be avoiding going outside even more than usual, certainly not for groceries that are probably not even on the shelf because of hoarders and preppers. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any thoughts about when each country will go back to "Business as usual"? I know Drumpf wants it to be April 15th, but I don't see how that's possible, with over 100,000 cases in the US and the deaths doubling overnight...China was on complete strict quarantine for 2.5 months, and it seems they have still locked borders.

Plus, if the cases and deaths go down, and then all the businesses, borders, interactions and normal life starts up, won't the cases & spread make another crazy spike?  I'm really curious to know how long these lockdowns (with only grocery stores and pharmacies) will last? When people will be back to work? I wonder when travel bans will be removed?

Edited by Blahblah
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My state hasn't even gotten to a grocery store and pharmacy only state.  They restricted it to essential businesses, but defined essential business to encompass a whole range of things. 

I have no clue how this thing is going to end.  I do think it'll get worse if we reopen too soon.  The epidemiologist article that I saw  (medium.com) promised that the measures we are taking work, but just that they take time.  I'd rather give it time than move too quickly and have to start all over again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, DogMan said:

 

 

Scotty From Marketing (Our Prime Minister, Scott Morisson) is giving pensioners 2 x $750

 

This is not to stimulate pensioners in any way. The idea is the "we" are crap with money, and will spend recklessly, thereby stimulating the economy. Higher income earners would apparently do stupid things, like make mortgage and credit card payments

 

The trouble is, I want for nothing ATM. Maybe in part from junk mail ceasing, adverts incresingly being virus related etc.

 

So far, I have $200 earmarked for a nice, Australian single malt whiskey. 1 bottle lasts me a year or two. But that is Aussie made that I can buy.

 

I have enough guilt being on disability already, now the cunt gives us $1500 and leaves out most of the population

Not to be offensive but your PM is very odd. It sounds like you wouldn't be offended by that however. 

6 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Any thoughts about when each country will go back to "Business as usual"?

Realistically, if governments want people safe and alive, it will be a VERY long time. NZ is in complete lockdown for the next three weeks, and that will probably be extended another two weeks. Data modelling has suggested that any time a lockdown ends, the virus will just spread again and another lockdown will be needed. We may end up with an extended period of lockdown, back to business, lockdown, back to business and so on. 

But who really knows. If we eradicate it here that would be wonderful, but then the economy...? Our govt is already saying we will be in a very hard recession after all this. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No offense taken, he's a bloody buffoon at best. 

As for the question, I am going to say probably never. Even when the virus is gone, I doubt it will be something that won't leave an ever lasting impact on the way we live and function socioeconomically. That probably sounds grim but that's my thought. And that's socioeconomically and both socially and economically separately. Even just basic human survival and functioning, for some I think the impact of prolonged isolation will change them forever, I know I have spent my whole life forcibly excluded from the rest of society and it definitely molded aspects of my social behaviour and ability to understand how it impacts people, even though I myself am not negatively impacted on a personal level. 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The world has a recession fairly regularly and we always come through them. The Great Depression has a legendary status in the US and rightly so, but please remember its name is a marketing scam. It was primarily a famine. The crops failed because of bad farming practices. The crops aren't going to fail. There will be no famine.

They call it the Great Depression instead of the Great Famine in order to trick people into thinking the economy is as important as food, it's not. The recession was secondary to the famine. The money will always come back, and in the meantime if people work together and help each other they can get through, it really helps if your government have that attitude too of course :(


Rich people like recessions because the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, but that's not a foregone conclusion. A bit of cooperation and empathy will shield the poor from the worst effects of this. I really hope that happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2020 at 8:46 PM, Melancholya said:

Not to be offensive but your PM is very odd. It sounds like you wouldn't be offended by that however. 

Realistically, if governments want people safe and alive, it will be a VERY long time. NZ is in complete lockdown for the next three weeks, and that will probably be extended another two weeks. Data modelling has suggested that any time a lockdown ends, the virus will just spread again and another lockdown will be needed. We may end up with an extended period of lockdown, back to business, lockdown, back to business and so on. 

But who really knows. If we eradicate it here that would be wonderful, but then the economy...? Our govt is already saying we will be in a very hard recession after all this. 

Yeah I don't know why the countries who have managed to flatten this out at a low level aren't talking about getting it to 0 and then just closing borders until the rest of the world manages the same thing. Why is closing borders just not an option at all? Don't get me wrong, I am the most pro immigration / emigration person.. I believe every non-criminal (or anyone non-violent) should be able to live and work anywhere in the world. . . but this is a different situation!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/31/2020 at 9:05 AM, Antecedent said:

They call it the Great Depression instead of the Great Famine in order to trick people into thinking the economy is as important as food, it's not. The recession was secondary to the famine. The money will always come back, and in the meantime if people work together and help each other they can get through, it really helps if your government have that attitude too of course :(

I think that especially in modern times the economy has big components that are conceptual rather than physical. Most of our basic necessities like food and shelter still exist in good quantities and if financial forces try to block people from them that is an artificial scarcity more then a true lack of resources

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...