CrazyBoards.org

tip for freezing food, don't be a dingus like me and freeze a whole block of chicken thighs together if you're only gonna eat 1 or 2 at a time. if you do, ya gotta thaw the whole damn block or chisel off your individual servings. not worth the effort, in my experience

Personally, I store freeze dried foods.  They are completely independent from the electrical grid.  You just have to make sure you have water and cooking fuel (to prep the water). It seems like everyone I’ve known with a deep freeze has had their freezers crap out and ruin everything.  

On 3/30/2020 at 9:49 PM, chem said:

tip for freezing food, don't be a dingus like me and freeze a whole block of chicken thighs together if you're only gonna eat 1 or 2 at a time. if you do, ya gotta thaw the whole damn block or chisel off your individual servings. not worth the effort, in my experience

Chisel?

• Haha 2

Yeah. Chisel. I don't recommend it, lol

• Haha 1

I only have a tiny freezer but I have things freezer burned and disorganized anyway. Plus I fear power loss here, too, it happens frequently some parts of the year. I guess knowing what you have and actually using it would be key. 

I too have learned the pieces of chicken frozen together lesson. Also learned to freeze individual servings of soups, etc. Mostly I’ve learned freezing isn’t best for my style. 

wash hands before and after handling frozen food :)

When you are chiselling your frozen chicken and get carried away:
Wood-Carvings-For-Beginners-2-min.jpg

• Haha 1

Also do be careful thawing frozen bread dough in the fridge. It can expand and take over your fridge. Not easy to clean up, either. 

random food things... 

when friend A says she found multi-packs of rib racks and is willing to give you ribs (3 full racks in a pack) for $0.99/lb, make damn sure you have room for almost 16 lbs of ribs in your freezer. also, be prepared to either a) eat ribs for days, b) feed your friends, c) use a rack of ribs to create a booby-trap so you don't engage in midnight snacking or d) some combination of all the options. I'm currently cooking a full rack in the oven. even with only (ONLY????) 2 remaining racks, the freezer is overflowing with food

holy damn. I need to consider investing in a stand-alone freezer to deal with extra food that can't be cooked or eaten right away (whether mom likes that idea remains to be discovered)

also to consider- invest in a food saver machine set-up thingy

also to consider- put more freezer style ziploc bags on the shopping list... freezing things in regular ziplocs that you'd put sandwiches in is a great way to get freezer burn on food after only a month of it being stored. :( 

Possibly useful thing to consider:  I knew a family visiting in town for a couple months due to a family emergency. The folks back home supported them by sending all their food, mainly fish. Pount here is—they were able to rent a freezer for the period of time they were in town. Of course I don’t know how available or pricey that is, but it if you have short term need for a freezer, maybe it could be an option?  (I’ve always remembered that family’s story of a community helping plus freezer rental).  

I never knew a rack of ribs was so big. I would have to pass for sure but what a great deal. 

Standing freezers are awesome. I’m now, however, trying to find a replacement seal, and they’re fucking expensive! I have a kenmore, but they apparently don’t sell the seals, this was a cheapie model for was less than $300. 

if you have the inclination, I’ve been using the foodsaver vacuum sealer for a decade at least now. Zero freezer burn, if it’s sealed properly. And what I like most is being able to plop a frozen chunk of meat into a bowl of hot water to thaw, and it’s safe from getting waterlogged. And quick. 

the downside is of course the price of the bags. I use the cut-your-own rolls, but I’ve learned to really consider whether something will be frozen longer term, or if it’s worth the price of the bag. And I don’t think they would work with racks of ribs @chem 😂

my friend that I got the ribs from used the cut your own size roll of bags for the foodsaver thingy to prep the ribs for the freezer.