CrazyBoards.org

Why do strong SRIs induce apathy, indifference and laziness?

On 4/11/2020 at 6:21 AM, Blahblah said:

@browri  Crazy you mention this! I was doing MUCH better last year, (and I was taking a Multivitamin, NAC, Omegas, and this Supergreen powder supplement). I ran out of all of it, and then went on holiday December, and since January, I noticed the lethargy & apathy increasing...like my Ritalin wasn't working. I even took a Ritalin holiday all of December!

Problem is, quality supplements are expensive. I'm unemployed, my hub balks at me spending so much on supplements (he says they aren't really proven unless you are deficient, he's a scientist, go figure!)  I just ordered a new multivitamin and re-started NAC, I keep wondering if it's purely psychological placebo effect, but I did have more energy (mentally & physically) when I was taking these. It was subtle over time, but I think the supplements do make a difference.

I agree, these supplements are quite expensive and really for no reason. Those manufacturers aren't subject to stringent requirements the way medication manufacturers are, but even if they were, these compounds truly don't cost this much to manufacture.

As for your husband. He is right. There is far more scarce evidence covering the use of Ashwaghanda or Rhodiola rosea in a controlled setting than for the following:

Vitamin D3: pre-cursor to dopamine. Proven to reduce symptoms of fatigue. Should take D3 (cholecalciferol) and not D2 (ergocalciferol). Take 50,000IU once/wk for 8 weeks. Then transition to 5000IU/day until yours tests normally.

Omega-3 fatty acids: Studies show (and the APA has issued guidance on it) that when additional benefit is not seen by further increasing the dose of an antidepressant, augmentation with omega-3 fatty acids may provide continue benefit than the antidepressant could provide alone. It is recommended that the product be a 70/30 (EPA/DHA) ratio. (DHA actually doesn't do much to lower triglycerides and can increase LDL cholesterol)

Methylated folate: Only form that can cross the blood brain barrier. Combined with vitamin D, can produce more neurotransmitters and help restore normal signaling in the brain.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:21 AM, Blahblah said:

Would Deplin help if I don't have the MTHR mutation? I really want to get a Fish Oil, but overwhelmed at the options (I know high EPA is ideal) but which brands, and where to order? I used to take Nordic Naturals and they are really quite expensive (plus I must pay shipping to Europe). If you have any other supplements/vitamins you recommend (and specific brands that are easy to get, or without a prescription) Please let me know!

It doesn't necessarily have to be Deplin. That's just the prescription only one. MethylPro has a very good reputation. Would start low with it and take it slowly. Like 7.5mg. A 30-count bottle of capsules is $29.50:

https://smile.amazon.com/MethylPro-L-Methylfolate-7-5-Professional-Strength/dp/B0731TC46Z

As for the fish oil, you are correct. EPA-only or 70/30 as I said above is the way to go. The APA guidance I mentioned I believe said 2 grams per day (always divided and with meals, so 1 gram with breakfast and 1 with dinner).

Nature Made does make Burp-less Ultra Omega-3 which is 1000mg (1 gram) per capsule (683mg/252mg). This is what I found though for EPA-only, which really is the healthiest option:

https://smile.amazon.com/Pharmepa-Restore-Omega-3-Serving-softgels/dp/B007TUK2IE

You would need to take two of those capsules twice a day to achieve 2 grams of EPA. Would end up costing about $45/month because you'd have to buy two boxes (one box covers two weeks with 60 capsules, 4 per day).

Thing is these are about the size of brand name medication copays for 1 month supplies and they're proven supplements.

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2020 at 3:07 PM, browri said:

Certainly. When you lower dopamine signaling and throw it out of balance with acetylcholine, it can cause restlessness. So the anti-cholinergic effects of of tricyclics on the one hand can caused blurred vision, urinary retention, cognitive issues, possibly contribute to combination by slowing down the GI, on the other hands it calms you down from a psycho-motor perspective.

So acetylcholine antagonizes Dopamine? (in some form)

4 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

So acetylcholine antagonizes Dopamine? (in some form)

No not necessarily. Dopamine and acetylcholine together regulate movement throughout the body. They are independent neurotransmitter systems the control different bodily functions which create movement. Reducing dopamine activity without also dampening acetylcholine activity seems to be a state in which one experiences extra-pyramidal symptoms like akathisia.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, browri said:

No not necessarily. Dopamine and acetylcholine together regulate movement throughout the body. They are independent neurotransmitter systems the control different bodily functions which create movement. Reducing dopamine activity without also dampening acetylcholine activity seems to be a state in which one experiences extra-pyramidal symptoms like akathisia.

@Blahblah there are two new antidepressants being worked on that you might be a candidate for when they do come out:

ansofaxine (4-methylbenzoate desvenlafaxine hydrochloride😞

...a serotonin–norepinephrine–dopamine reuptake inhibitor (SNDRI) which is under development by Luye Pharma Group for the treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD). It is described as an SNDRI and prodrug to desvenlafaxine. However, unlike desvenlafaxine, which has in vitro IC50 values of 53 nM and 538 nM for inhibition of serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake, respectively, ansofaxine has respective in vitro IC50 values of 723 nM, 763 nM, and 491 nM for serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine reuptake inhibition. As of July 2018, the drug is in preregistration for MDD in the United States, the European Union, Japan, and China.[1]

So this is an interesting one because as you can see it is a prodrug of desvenlafaxine (brand-name Pristiq), which is an active metabolite of venlafaxine (Effexor). The chief difference between the parent drugs is that while venlafaxine can inhibit the dopamine transporter in higher doses (225mg-450mg), the metabolite desvenlafaxine does not appear to have such affinity (even at 100mg) being limited to just serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibition. It would appear that Luye Pharma has surmounted this limitation by turning desvenlafaxine into this prodrug, ansofaxine, which is capable of reaching parts of the brain that desvenlafaxine cannot. Not only that, but ansofaxine has more affinity for dopamine reuptake inhibition than for serotonin or norepinephrine.

They submitted an updated NDA late last year and are waiting for final approval from the FDA I believe.

The other is dasotraline, which is a stereoisomer of desmethylsertraline, a chief active metabolite of sertraline (Zoloft). This one has fairly potent NDRI properties, more so than the parent drug and is apparently under development for binge-eating disorder. The MDD development has halted but I see this being used off-label for depression like yours.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2020 at 2:57 AM, mikl_pls said:

I wasn't able to find much, but I too believe I suffer from this. I believe my antipsychotic also contributes to this as well.

As for the antidepressant (specifically SSRI) induced indifference, I found one single link from pubmed that seemed to be somewhat reputable. I recommend checking it out. I'll summarize a little of it below.

Personally I have gotten rid of it by adding a moderately high dose of desipramine (100 mg) to my SSRI. That's a secondary amine TCA which works primarily on norepinephrine (actually is the most selective NRI on the market in the US). Atomoxetine (Strattera) would work too theoretically (I've tried it and it didn't work too terribly great for me). Fluoxetine and atomoxetine was a good combination until Strattera went generic (then all hell broke loose).

MAOIs are really great for depression that are treatment resistant (if you're able to find a psychiatrist who's willing to prescribe them). They're even more effective when prescribed with a stimulant, which is classically contraindicated, but can be done under the close supervision of an expert psychiatrist.

Nortriptyline seems to be a popular addon.

SSRI + Nortriptyline

MAOI + Nortriptyline

19 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Nortriptyline seems to be a popular addon.

SSRI + Nortriptyline

MAOI + Nortriptyline

Indeed. Nortriptyline is a metabolite of amitriptyline. The parent drug is preferential to the serotonin transporter (SERT) over the norepinephrine transporter (NET) or the dopamine transporter (DAT), whereas the child prefers the opposite. This is why nortriptyline is often used as an augmenting agent. Additionally, while nortriptyline has clinically negligible effects on DAT, its potent inhibition of NET in the pre-frontal cortex would indirectly ramp up dopamine signaling as well, making nortriptyline a makeshift NDRI.

Importantly though are nortriptyline's 5HT2A and 5HT2C antagonist properties, both of which can lead to additional norepinephrine and dopamine release. Compound this with NET inhibition and you've again got a really robust effect.

Nortriptyline seems to have some evidence in smoking cessation as well. Again though, like other tricyclics, it has fairly strong anticholinergic effects:

image.thumb.png.ec58d50e89c09b55781784ea16650b6b.png

Because nortriptyline is more of an NRI, you can mix it with some MAOIs if it's done carefully, but it should be a last resort. More than likely the most robust combo would be with either selegiline or tranylcypromine as they are preferential for inhibition of MAO-B, which is responsible for the breakdown of norepinephrine and dopamine predominantly, as opposed to MAO-A, which prefers serotonin oxidation. The concern of course with combining an MAOI and any kind of serotonin reuptake inhibitor is serotonin syndrome. Nortriptyline's affinity for the SERT is lower, but still considerable. If you start both medications on their lowest doses and increase either medication in tiny increments, only changing one med at a time and also giving plenty of time between dose changes, but it can be done.

• Like 1

I have found reading this thread quite fascinating.

I recently had to come off Moclobermide as it was out of stock. I don’t really get on with SSRI/SNRIs. Mirtazapine made me fat. I’ve just started imipramine only 25mg and I’m finding it challenging. My doctor did mention Nardil but I think they are reluctant and so am I. I take Seroquel, lamictal and gabapentin. The gaba is for nerve pain. The imipramine has taken that away completely. I have Ativan and Zopiclone PRN.

I have treatment resistant depression and various anxiety disorders. Also get extremely rapid mood drops that last 60 seconds or so.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 3:55 PM, browri said:

Indeed. Nortriptyline is a metabolite of amitriptyline. The parent drug is preferential to the serotonin transporter (SERT) over the norepinephrine transporter (NET) or the dopamine transporter (DAT), whereas the child prefers the opposite. This is why nortriptyline is often used as an augmenting agent. Additionally, while nortriptyline has clinically negligible effects on DAT, its potent inhibition of NET in the pre-frontal cortex would indirectly ramp up dopamine signaling as well, making nortriptyline a makeshift NDRI.

Importantly though are nortriptyline's 5HT2A and 5HT2C antagonist properties, both of which can lead to additional norepinephrine and dopamine release. Compound this with NET inhibition and you've again got a really robust effect.

Nortriptyline seems to have some evidence in smoking cessation as well. Again though, like other tricyclics, it has fairly strong anticholinergic effects:

image.thumb.png.ec58d50e89c09b55781784ea16650b6b.png

Because nortriptyline is more of an NRI, you can mix it with some MAOIs if it's done carefully, but it should be a last resort. More than likely the most robust combo would be with either selegiline or tranylcypromine as they are preferential for inhibition of MAO-B, which is responsible for the breakdown of norepinephrine and dopamine predominantly, as opposed to MAO-A, which prefers serotonin oxidation. The concern of course with combining an MAOI and any kind of serotonin reuptake inhibitor is serotonin syndrome. Nortriptyline's affinity for the SERT is lower, but still considerable. If you start both medications on their lowest doses and increase either medication in tiny increments, only changing one med at a time and also giving plenty of time between dose changes, but it can be done.

They've even done Tranylcypromine + Amitriptyline ^^

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30106881

7 minutes ago, crazyguy82 said:

I have found reading this thread quite fascinating.

I recently had to come off Moclobermide as it was out of stock. I don’t really get on with SSRI/SNRIs. Mirtazapine made me fat. I’ve just started imipramine only 25mg and I’m finding it challenging. My doctor did mention Nardil but I think they are reluctant and so am I. I take Seroquel, lamictal and gabapentin. The gaba is for nerve pain. The imipramine has taken that away completely. I have Ativan and Zopiclone PRN.

I have treatment resistant depression and various anxiety disorders. Also get extremely rapid mood drops that last 60 seconds or so.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

How so?

6 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30106881

How so?

I have learnt so much it’s been very useful.

The imipramine is making me stupid. I’m finding hard to put sentences together and I’m trembling. I really want it to work, I feel like I’m slurring my words but nobody else says I am. 

Working is an issue at the moment I can’t afford to be stupid with my job.

Edited by crazyguy82
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyguy82 said:

The imipramine is making me stupid. I’m finding hard to put sentences together and I’m trembling. I really want it to work, I feel like I’m slurring my words but nobody else says I am. 

i had a similar problem on abilify. i gave it a good trial (few months?) at a low dose and it didn't get better at all. it affected my work. worst side effect i've had. i read on your other post that you've been taking the imipramine since wednesday. that's a bit soon to properly evaluate whether a med is effective, but you certainly have reason to discontinue it if your work is being significantly impacted.

have you tried any other TCAs? i'm on clomipramine (anafranil) 120 mg and i like it. i get shaky hands and dry mouth, but i feel good and my cognition is intact. had a bit of anhedonia at lower doses but lately i've noticed that it's gone.

was moclobermide effective for you?

• Like 1

Your quite right I need to give it more time. I was doing great on Moclobermide it’s quite a mild medication but very effective. There have been supply issues a few times. I had a few months extra tablets hoping the issue would be sorted. I was taking it more for the social anxiety issues. 

Apparently it’s not prescribed very much very little side effects. I have taken a few weeks off work my manager was extremely understanding. I get the impression she was on some kind of medication.

I took dothiepin when I was 19 for around 10 months for depression. If I got up to quickly I felt like I would pass out. I used to sweat like crazy, it did the job. It was an old school doctor that gave it.

• Like 1

@crazyguy82 why are you hesitant to try the Nardil? Is it because it is an irreversible and non-selective MAOI? Or because of the liver problems that are associated with Nardil? Parnate is not typically associated with liver problems like Nardil is and is actually rather stimulating rather than sedating like Nardil tends to be. It still nevertheless tends to help with anxiety. Also, not as much weight gain if any, perhaps some weight loss with Parnate. Marplan, if they still make it anymore (last I heard it was on back order until further notice which was over a year ago), is related to Nardil but doesn't seem to have the same side effects associated with it. It's somewhere in between Nardil and Parnate as far as stimulation is concerned, and is pretty weight neutral (I actually gained a ton of weight on Parnate paradoxically, which I lost most of on Marplan, but Marplan was not effective for me at all). Emsam, the transdermal patch, is alright for many, but for me I experienced neither an antidepressant nor anxiolytic effect with it. Then again, my pdoc wouldn't go above the 9 mg/24 hr dose for some reason.

On 5/16/2020 at 8:55 AM, browri said:

Desipramine and protriptyline are also commonly used. Desipramine has the most potent and selective NET inhibition over SERT inhibition, and protriptyline is also a pretty potent and selective NET inhibitor. Apparently protriptyline is regarded as the most stimulating TCA, or maybe the only TCA that is widely regarded as stimulating, since desipramine in low doses can be somewhat sedating or at least "relaxing." Also commonly used are trimipramine (lacks any reuptake inhibition, antagonizes presynaptic D2 receptors, D4 receptors, 5-HT2A receptors, and mACh receptors, as well as being an extremely potent H1 antagonist), amoxapine, and maprotiline.

On 5/17/2020 at 2:40 PM, Skeletor said:

Yep, the "prototypical" MAOI + TCA combo is amitriptyline (Elavil) + phenelzine (Nardil), but this is straight up begging for a BMI of ≥ 40 regardless of baseline BMI, literally... It doesn't matter where you start, if you take that combo long enough, you will keep gaining the weight and it will never level out or plateau. The only TCAs that have been truly contraindicated with MAOIs are imipramine and clomipramine because of their serotonergic activity.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 3:46 PM, crazyguy82 said:

I have learnt so much it’s been very useful.

Working is an issue at the moment I can’t afford to be stupid with my job.

So I'm gonna take a stab at this one. Imipramine is a unique tricyclic in that it is very effective for childhood nocturnal enuresis ("wetting the bed"). It does this by blocking muscarinic acetylcholine receptors, which can also adversely affect cognition. This may be what you are experiencing, and it is one domain of side effects that caused doctors to switch over to using SSRIs and SNRIs instead because of their selectivity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, browri said:

So I'm gonna take a stab at this one. Imipramine is a unique tricyclic in that it is very effective for childhood nocturnal enuresis ("wetting the bed"). It does this by blocking muscarinic acetylcholine receptors, which can also adversely affect cognition. This may be what you are experiencing, and it is one domain of side effects that caused doctors to switch over to using SSRIs and SNRIs instead because of their selectivity.

All of the issues have cleared up took about a week. I would suggest starting on the 25mg dose. The standard stating dose is 75mg. I’m going to increase to 50mg on the weekend. I’m happy with it so far.

Edited by crazyguy82

6 minutes ago, crazyguy82 said:

All of the issues have cleared up took about a week. I would suggest starting on the 25mg dose. The standard stating dose is 75mg. I’m going to increase to 50mg on the weekend. I’m happy with it so far.

That's great! With tricyclics, as long as side effects are tolerable, they are far more effective generally than newer meds for many people because their treatment effects are so comprehensive

• Like 1

why are you hesitant to try the Nardil? Is it because it is an irreversible and non-selective MAOI? Or because of the liver problems that are associated with Nardil?

They just look a little scary all of the interactions. I did well on Moclobermide. I’m wondering if I could work full time with all of the side effects. It gets me down how much medication I take. I do have a mostly normal life.

Im going to stick with the imipramine for the time being. If that doesn’t work well I will have to perhaps give it ago. I would have to get my doctor to agree, and Im not sure if he has the balls. He did think about it.

The Seroquel and Lamictal give good stability I’m just flat and miserable with out an AD. 

Edited by crazyguy82
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, browri said:

That's great! With tricyclics, as long as side effects are tolerable, they are far more effective generally than newer meds for many people because their treatment effects are so comprehensive

It made me crazy for a few days. It almost went in the bin but I’m glad I stuck with it. My sleep is a bit restless I would suggest a benzo for the first few days. I’m not sure about giving it to kids for bet wetting, it’s bad enough for an adult to deal with the start up effects let alone a kid!  

I might add I good effect is increased sex drive it’s made things very intense. I thought I was going to have a heart attack at one point......lol  😂😂😂

Edited by crazyguy82

12 hours ago, crazyguy82 said:

It made me crazy for a few days. It almost went in the bin but I’m glad I stuck with it.

Yeah, one of my best friends recently started imipramine and it made him pretty crazy there for a while. He started with either 25 mg or 50 mg, can't remember... but he's up to 75 mg now. He said that he has gotten used to it and all the extreme mood swings and extreme emotional reactivity have gone away for the most part. But his pdoc is like, trying to kill him with his cocktail! He's not only on imipramine 75 mg, but also on desvenlafaxine succinate (Pristiq) 50 mg and bupropion XL (Wellbutrin XL) 450 mg on top of that! I could understand combining a secondary amine TCA like nortriptyline or desipramine with an SSRI, maybe an SNRI like Pristiq... but not with Wellbutrin let alone at that dose, and especially not with Pristiq and Wellbutrin!

Also, he did also tell me that his sleep has been pretty jacked up lately since being on this dose of imipramine.

I tried imipramine 25 mg for a little while and it was pretty awful... I didn't last long on it (maybe just over a week at the longest). I gained a ton of weight in a very short amount of time, I sweat very profusely just constantly, my already bad tremors got way worse, and I had extremely vivid night terrors every night while I was on it.

Edited by mikl_pls
  • Like 1

That’s totally overkill. You would have to pick me off the ceiling if I had that. I took mirtazapine and Effexor. That was insane I gained a ton of weight and I was totally wrecked. It was like being on some club drug.

I have weighed myself 3 times since starting and it’s no difference. I don’t mind putting on a few lbs if it works. I have found food tasting much better. I’m sure it will go away. 

• Like 1

Is there any medication that can help with hand tremors. I find it embarrassing sometimes in work and it’s hard when people notice. I just made something up that sounds somewhat convincing. My body creates to much adrenaline. I have take meds for so long, I don’t know if it’s me or the meds.

• Like 1