CrazyBoards.org

Disability Benefit and Medicare Termination

I'm abruptly feeling much worse than usual, because I was notified today that my benefits are being terminated effective May 1st. Apparently "new evidence" indicates I can do "unskilled labor."

I don't think I have to say anything much to point out the absurdity of this action, regardless of my perceived abilities, in the context of a global pandemic and skyrocketing unemployment numbers.

It's possible that, appealing within 10 days (as I am doing), they will continue benefits and Medicare during the appeals process. All the Social Security offices are closed though, and they have cut back on their call center hours, and I can't file the paperwork online, and they have no fax number.

So. Just wanted to shout out into the void. Thanks.

• Sad 2

That makes no sense, considering everything happening in the world right now.  I am sorry you are going through it.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 0112358 said:

I'm abruptly feeling much worse than usual, because I was notified today that my benefits are being terminated effective May 1st. Apparently "new evidence" indicates I can do "unskilled labor."

I don't think I have to say anything much to point out the absurdity of this action, regardless of my perceived abilities, in the context of a global pandemic and skyrocketing unemployment numbers.

It's possible that, appealing within 10 days (as I am doing), they will continue benefits and Medicare during the appeals process. All the Social Security offices are closed though, and they have cut back on their call center hours, and I can't file the paperwork online, and they have no fax number.

How awful! That is asinine with everything going on in the world!! How the Hell do they determine your capabilities anyhow? (I've never been on longterm disability) I'm assuming a doctors authorization doesn't cut it.... I'm really curious how it all works, like do they have an official "assessor" come out every year and interview you? Talk with your psychiatrist? How long can you be on it?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blahblah said:

I'm really curious how it all works, like do they have an official "assessor" come out every year and interview you? Talk with your psychiatrist? How long can you be on it?

They do a medical review as they see fit, depending on whether or not they expect your condition to get better. There's no time limit for how long you can be on it. To do the medical review, they gather records from all of your doctors. They do have individuals doing the ultimate assessments, based on your records, but I don't know what credentials they have. The letter I got lists the sources they used to make the determination, but not the reasoning.

One of the things wrong with this (that isn't an obvious thing to anyone with a brain) is that they don't have the main person I see for bipolar disorder, who is my therapist, on the list of sources. I know that she sent in a report, so I don't know if they just decided not to use it, or lost it, or what.

I would bet that they lost it.  Do you have a copy of your own that you could give them?  Or does your therapist have an extra copy that she could give you?  (or do it again?)

I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this right now.  It might not hurt to reach out to legal aid in order to have someone on your side.  you're right that the ten day window is criticlal, no matter how challenging it might be.

again..sorry.  it makes no sense.  SSA can go screw themselves.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, 0112358 said:

It's possible that, appealing within 10 days (as I am doing), they will continue benefits and Medicare during the appeals process.

Yes, if you file for an appeal within 10 days, they will continue all your benefits....When you have your final appeal hearing, a final decision will be made......I'm surprised there's no way to file this appeal online, or by fax...

I have never been through this, but I think there are 2 levels of appeal--First level is with DDS (Disability Determination Services)...If DDS says you can work, then you have one more appeal level through a judge.

Sounds like you might need to contact a disability attorney's office, maybe ask them if they have any advice on what to do.

4 hours ago, 0112358 said:

One of the things wrong with this (that isn't an obvious thing to anyone with a brain) is that they don't have the main person I see for bipolar disorder, who is my therapist, on the list of sources. I know that she sent in a report, so I don't know if they just decided not to use it, or lost it, or what.

Ask them if they received the report from your therapist......Just in case they did lose the report, or didn't get it for some reason, ask your therapist who did the report to make another copy for you.

I'm sorry you are going through all this, along with all the other stuff that's going on......I wish you the best.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, 0112358 said:

How can they do this ? I am so sorry. You are in my thoughts,if that helps at all. I truly hope this matter ets settled ASAP. You don’t deserve this right now. This is awful. Just awful. Take gentle care.

• Thanks 1

Update: I was able to appeal within 10 days, so I do still have health insurance for now. I also found an attorney, which was not easy because it's hard for them to make money from CDR (continuing disability review) appeals. I think I contacted 15 before I found one.

• Like 4

On 4/24/2020 at 1:21 PM, 0112358 said:

Update: I was able to appeal within 10 days, so I do still have health insurance for now. I also found an attorney, which was not easy because it's hard for them to make money from CDR (continuing disability review) appeals. I think I contacted 15 before I found one.

Thanks for the update! I’m happy you secured an attorney and that you still have health insurance for now! Beat wishes to you! I think this whole situation you are in is simply awful! I hope very much that it gets solved in your favor ASAP. Sending good thoughts your wya!

• Like 1