CrazyBoards.org

opinion on doctor's appointment

I need an adult....to help me decide about a doctor's appointment.

I have an appointment that was rescheduled for Friday (4//10).  It was only rescheduled a few days ago with all the current restrictions in effect.  So it's there on the table if I want it.  I can't do telemedicine because 1) I can't decide if the warts are completely gone and 2) I can't treat them if they aren't.

So..I've been treating these damn things since October easily, so it feels a bit more urgent than a dermatology appointment might in general seem.  I recognize it's not a medical emergency, which is what has me debating to stay home.  But...October was a while ago.  I'm tired of not having this problem fixed. 

Getting there is an interesting question.  Mass transit is running rarely and I can't handle the drive and parking myself.  So it would probably mean lyft or uber.  That seems risky.  Or I can check the mass transit schedules and just give myself extra time.  Chances are I could get trains, just not frequently. 

Any thoughts?

hmm. I'd really hesitate to be on mass transit right now in your part of the country, because from what I understand fewer trains means more people packed in. Personally I'd even hesitate to Uber if I didn't absolutely have to. If it were me I'd probably reschedule for something that weren't super critical, but maybe that's how you feel about the warts, so I don't know. Are you sure you can't do telemedicine?

thanks Harp.  Your reply made me put out a mass question on facebook about recently experiences with metro.  When I was riding there were drastically fewer people, but I can see how the fewer trains means more people. 

I know technically that the warts technically aren't critical, but it feels that way given that its' been over six months.

Telemedicine definitely isn't a go 1) they won't be able to tell if there are still warts because the PA had to manipulate my hand at all angles to see if there was one and I can'te tell them because I would have thought we were done about three appointments ago; 2) even if they were able to confirm that there was still a wart present, they can't fix it/treat it via telemedicine.

Not only would I avoid public transportation unless the situation was absolutely dire, I would avoid doctors’ offices. Doctors’ offices tend to attract sick people. I can hardly think of two places I’d less want to be.

Unless you’re in real pain and/or in need of urgent care, I think staying home is safer.

I hear you. I get shots in my knees every six months because of arthritis and torn menisci, and though I’m overdue and will probably start feeling the pain, I’m steering clear of the office even though I wouldn’t necessarily expect to see sick people in a sports medicine practice. For me it’s not worth the anxiety and risk. But there’s going to be a flood of these less urgent but necessary doctor’s visits after this is over, since not everything lends itself to telemedicine.

On 4/5/2020 at 1:35 PM, Unstrung Harp said:

I hear you. I get shots in my knees every six months because of arthritis and torn menisci

Harp, for several years I accompanied my best friend to the VA every few months so she could have the same procedure. Are you getting fake synovial fluid? Something to relieve the pain of having no cartilage? 

She was due to have a knee replacement on March 19th, after years of fighting to get one. Now it’s on hold indefinitely. I cried.

21 minutes ago, Gearhead said:

Harp, for several years I accompanied my best friend to the VA every few months so her could have the same procedure. Are you getting fake synovial fluid? Something to relieve the pain of having no cartilage? 

She was due to have a knee replacement on March 19th, after years of fighting to get one. Now it’s on hold indefinitely. I cried.

Yes. It’s called Synvisc. It both cushions the knee and stimulates it to make its own fluid I think. I blew out both knees when I attempted to take up running a few years ago, and it uncovered some arthritis damage. Stupid genetics. Eventually I will likely need to have them replaced, but because I’m young for that it’s all about forestalling the replacement, since replacements only last so long. Usually I can get six or seven months of limited/no pain and stiffness from a shot (but no running). I’m on the 6th month, so I may start hobbling soon. I’m sorry about your friend. That really sucks to be that close and have it be on hold. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 3:15 PM, dancesintherain said:

thanks Harp!  I may in the long run end up going.  I'm leaving it as a see where I stand on Wednesday (to give two days notice before the appointment). 

Stay home.  Why take a chance