Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So a few years ago I had to go off seroquel because of weight gain.  It was high dose, though I can't remember what.  On the way off of it, I developed a dyskinesia with my mouth that went away once I was off of it.

I tried seroquelXR a little bit later and also hit the dyskinesia/dystonia problem.  I think I was at 600-800mg. 

 

So...would be completely ridiculous to try seroquel at a low dose (I'm thinking 100-200mg instead  of the zyprexa, which is basically being used for its sedative properties and feels a bit like using a sledgehammer to hit a fly.  Seroquel isn't that much better, but I know it works....whereas  Zyprexa does not inherently put me to sleep.

 

a decent-sized part of me wonders if it's better to not risk upsetting something.  The meds are otherwise working.  So I have sleep issues.

Edited by dancesintherain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

How about some traditional sleep meds. ? If benzo type will not work there is seconal 

Edited by notloki
misspell so to some

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve tried so many though I haven’t tried Seconal—-I’m not familiar with that one.  I’ve tried a few hypnotics and many benzos.  
 

I think part of what has me hesitant to leave Zyprexa, even as I post that I want to, is that it seems to have a brain glue effect on my thinking and ability and I wonder if I would get that from seroquel as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I didn't think anyone used seconal anymore 

Edit: for sleep 

Edited by Iceberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

me neither, but I'm curious.

I've include the drugs I've tried for sleep below (Taking out ones that were purely for other reasons).  I may have missed some, but this is a good start. 

 

sonata (stopped working); ambien (parasomnias); trazadone (panic attacks and blood pressure changes); doxepin (dropped by IP pdoc because TCA); ; latuda (induced mania); risperdal (drug-induced parkinsonianism); seroquelXR (EPS); hydroxyzine (didn't help); lunesta (did nothing); belsomra (awful trauma nightmares); temazepam (parasomnias)

Edited by dancesintherain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

me neither, but I'm curious.

I've include the drugs I've tried for sleep below (Taking out ones that were purely for other reasons).  I may have missed some, but this is a good start. 

 

sonata (stopped working); ambien (parasomnias); trazadone (panic attacks and blood pressure changes); doxepin (dropped by IP pdoc because TCA); ; latuda (induced mania); risperdal (drug-induced parkinsonianism); seroquelXR (EPS); hydroxyzine (didn't help); lunesta (did nothing); belsomra (awful trauma nightmares); temazepam (parasomnias)

Just a couple “off the top of my head” ideas, not saying they’d all be good for you:

for a time, I had good luck with Valium. Also, halcion, which isn’t really common anymore but I found it the most effectively benzo for knocking me out. I’ve had good luck with low dose Thorazine (as more of a last resort) but not sure I’d want to be on it for too long of a time. Some people say a pm dose of saphris is good for sleep. Low dose remeron. You could also start with a super tiny (25 - 50) mgs of seroquel, which actually helps some for sleep and then go from there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks @Iceberg for the ideas.  Halcion I've tried before, but it's far enough back in my mental health history that I don't know what went wrong.  It might be worth tryinh.  Saphris made me throw up unfortunately.  I'd be game for thorazine, but if it's not for long time use, it's probably not the best choice.  Remeron and/or the small dose of seroquel might be my best options.

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

thanks @Iceberg for the ideas.  Halcion I've tried before, but it's far enough back in my mental health history that I don't know what went wrong.  It might be worth tryinh.  Saphris made me throw up unfortunately.  I'd be game for thorazine, but if it's not for long time use, it's probably not the best choice.  Remeron and/or the small dose of seroquel might be my best options.

thanks!

No sorry, it’s fine for long term use at low doses, but for me it was sometimes too strong depending on my mood/episode status 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently leaning toward mentioning swapping the klonopin out with valium or halcion just to try to restore my ability to fall asleep.  that said, with my initial idea of getting off zyprexa, that wouldn't be an avenue to getting there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

so we're going with fixing sleep first.  she asked what I take and I said my usual evening meds (which is most everything)...then unisom...then benadryl....and then either ativan, temazepam, or seroquel...and then one of the others if I'm still stuck.  the 100mg seroquel is my "I know I'm not going to sleep in the near future unless I knock myself the fuck out."  Most nights it was ativan and/or temazepam.

She asked if unisom or unisom plus benadryl was ever enough and I said no.  I always have to add something on, its just a matter of what. 

I raised the possibility of switching to Valium...quicker acting but still longer sustaining...than klonopin.  She's willing to give it a try, though she forgot to call it into the pharmacy.

We'll deal with my goal fo getting off zyprexa in the future. 

We talked about other things of course, but those are most pertinent to this thread.

Edited by dancesintherain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dancesintherain said:

so we're going with fixing sleep first.  she asked what I take and I said my usual evening meds (which is most everything)...then unisom...then benadryl....and then either ativan, temazepam, or seroquel...and then one of the others if I'm still stuck.  the 100mg seroquel is my "I know I'm not going to sleep in the near future unless I knock myself the fuck out."  Most nights it was ativan and/or temazepam.

She asked if unisom or unisom plus benadryl was ever enough and I said no.  I always have to add something on, its just a matter of what. 

I raised the possibility of switching to Valium...quicker acting but still longer sustaining...than klonopin.  She's willing to give it a try, though she forgot to call it into the pharmacy.

We'll deal with my goal fo getting off zyprexa in the future. 

We talked about other things of course, but those are most pertinent to this thread.

Good news. What dose does she want to go with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

We'll deal with my goal fo getting off zyprexa in the future.

Can I ask why you want to get off of zyprexa? It seems to have happened quite suddenly? I thought it was working well for you. Did something happen to make you want to discontinue it? I thought things were going reasonably well as far as mood and other stuff for you. I know it’s tempting to make med changes but if it ain’t broke, why try to fix it? You have to do what’s best for you though and of course I support anything you choose. I’m just worried and care. I don’t want to see you feeling bad off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s a good question.  I feel like right now it’s just being used as a tranquilizer and if it’s main purpose is getting me to sleep, that’s a bit heavy handed.  I also don’t like being on two antipsychotics.  Also i feel like my evening hunger is at least in part related to zyprexa.

ill probably ignore all that and stick with it anyway.  You’re right that things are largely going well.

Edited by dancesintherain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I took the first dose last night.  I fell asleep within 20 minutes and I woke up naturally at 6:20. 

Hopefully it's not placebo effect and things continue in this direction. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

So I took the first dose last night.  I fell asleep within 20 minutes and I woke up naturally at 6:20. 

Hopefully it's not placebo effect and things continue in this direction. 

I’m glad it worked! Yay!

And I totally understand about your reasoning with the zyprexa. Do what you gotta do for you. 

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...