I started process of switching from Cymbalta to Remeron on March 25, and took my last dose of Cymbalta a few days ago. Other than a few days of extreme irritability, things have been going surprisingly smoothly. Except that I can't sleep. Not really. I'm rapid-cycling between moments of being awake and instantly dreaming as soon as I close my eyes. The waking moments seem precipitated by startling effects in the dream state, that usually have nothing to do with the content of the dream itself. The worst of these is the sudden sensation of being physically attacked by an evil presence. It seems to take me a little bit longer to wake up during these instances. Or at least that's how I perceive it.

How much of this is potentially the residual Cymbalta withdrawal effects, and how much of this is the "strange or unusual dreams" listed as a possible side effect of the Remeron? 

And more importantly, how long can I expect this to last? If you experienced disturbed dreams while on Remeron, how long did it last for you, and did it turn out to be a deal breaker?

1 hour ago, CrazyCatLady83 said:

How much of this is potentially the residual Cymbalta withdrawal effects, and how much of this is the "strange or unusual dreams" listed as a possible side effect of the Remeron? 

And more importantly, how long can I expect this to last? If you experienced disturbed dreams while on Remeron, how long did it last for you, and did it turn out to be a deal breaker?

If you took your last dose of Cymbalta a few days ago, it probably should be out of your system by now, although I have read about Cymbalta withdrawal causing nightmares in some people.....To be honest, I've never tried it, personally,...This is just from what I've read on the subject.

As for Remeron, side effects listed include "abnormal dreams":      https://www.drugs.com/sfx/remeron-side-effects.html

I have tried Remeron before, and I didn't notice any weird dreams......I took 15mg for most of the time I was on it....What dose are you on, if you don't mind sharing?.............Have you told your doctor about the dreams?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Thank you CrazyRedhead. Your mentioning that Cymbalta withdrawal has been associated with nightmares, along with some pretty inexplicable spells of extreme irritability that I've been experiencing, prompted me to search for how long Cymbalta withdrawal can take.

I found this: https://www.werecover.com/blog/cymbalta-withdrawal/

This explained sooo much for me, and it seems I was barking up the wrong tree by blaming the Remeron. Ideally, the withdrawal effects won't last much longer than the next couple of weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 1