CrazyBoards.org

What are the overall best (atypical) antipsychotics for Depression, Anxiety, Agitation, OCD, Bipolar...?

"Best" as in being effective with fewer side effects. Which ones were the best for you? Which ones did you take? What condition(s) did you treat? What side effects did you get? How did the antipsychotics compare to "conventional" antidepressants?

Can antipsychotics be an alternative to "conventional" antidepressants? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Do they make you a tomato with time? Psychiatrists prescribe them more often in recent times, it seems.

2 hours ago, Adolf_H8 said:

"Best" as in being effective with fewer side effects. Which ones were the best for you? Which ones did you take? What condition(s) did you treat? What side effects did you get? How did the antipsychotics compare to "conventional" antidepressants?

Can antipsychotics be an alternative to "conventional" antidepressants? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Do they make you a tomato with time? Psychiatrists prescribe them more often in recent times, it seems.

that is an extremely broad question(s)… are you looking for one for yourself?   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Iceberg said:

what are you  aiming to treat?

Anxiety (generalized and social), agitated states, depressive states, possibly some form of mixed affective (BP?) disorder...?

I've been on Sertraline for two years. Results were somewhat "meh". Was good for psychosomatic ailments and helped with cognition and derealization, seemed also quite good as "relapse" prevention, but caused typical SSRI-apathy & indifference... not sure if id did anything for anxiety, seemed like rather very subtle help... I missed some sedative and appetite-stimulating properties. (I am a skinny agitated fuck).

Edited by Adolf_H8

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By CrazyRedhead
      My therapist wants to try "exposure therapy"......I have read about it and it sounds terrifying to me.
      She is going to talk with me more about it next week.
      Has anyone ever done this type therapy?.......If you have, was it successful or helpful?
      Any thoughts and experiences welcome......Thanks !
    • By Alex C.
      I have searched in vain for anything about this and have not found anything, so I want to ask it here. Anytime I see a recent day or date, I find myself having to calculate how many days ago or how long ago it was relative to whatever today is. It drives me nuts, and sometimes I cannot stop. It is hard to read an article since I often cannot get past when it was published, or when a news story mentions some day in the last week I cannot focus on what the story is about because I am trying to figure out where the event was in time relative to now. Does anyone else do this or know about this? Thanks!
    • By Blahblah
      Has anyone (without a clinical thyroid disorder) tried Cytomel and had benefit with depression & fatigue? It seems most docs are resistant to trying it due to the possible heart/ bone density side effects.
      Even when it comes to thyroid disorders, There are some circles that disagree with the TSH lab ranges (what is "acceptable") and that TSH may not be good indicator of thyroid function for everyone anyway...
      I know T3 is rarely prescribed (even for ppl with thyroid issues). But I also read that in a few studies, folks with treatment-resistant depression (with no thyroid issues) can also benefit from using T3 as an add-on or "booster".

• By Blahblah
      I banged my head (outer eyebrow near temple) a week ago, on a cabinet door. I'm wondering if anyone here has got a concussion from this sort of thing? How do you know for sure?
      I iced it for an hour immediately, so very minimal bruising, but had a large lump (which is going down). Its very tender. My temple and eyebrow still feel "achey" (it's not really a headache). I also feel extra lethargic with brain fog, abrupt worsening of mood. I go to doc tomorrow, but I read that MRI scans cannot show mild concussions (only bone fractures or brain bleeding) and I also wonder if it's just my depression getting worse (versus a head injury from a bump)...?
      I HATE going to the Dr for this sort of thing... because I don't want to be labeled as "malingering" or a hypochondriac mental case. Doctors always see a diagnosis of depression on my file (and meds I'm on) and of course (being a woman also), it makes them more apt to always write things off as psychological or stress-related. 😞
    • By troop111
      Hi,
      Have any of you had or have read of gabapentin being of use as an adjunctive therapy for people with treatment resistant depression/anxiety/bipolar?
      I have been doing research and some sources say it helps, others say there is no strong clinical proof. I think a lot of the conflicting reports I have seen has to do with it simply not being studied en mass.
      Any advice/experiences regarding this? If so, what was your dosing?
      Thank you!
      troop