Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Sleeping a lot less, but otherwise not manic?


Recommended Posts

Since the lockdown, I've been greatly enjoying my newly flexible schedule. Instead of 7AM-4PM, I can fulfill my responsibilities any time of day, as long as I answer emails within 24 hours of receiving them. And turns out, every hair-pulling (literally) element of my job is more or less gone, now that I can just answer the questions that people actually ask and care about the answer to.

I'm a hardcore night person. Going back to early childhood. Most 5 year olds wake their parents up in the morning, mine had to wake me up. So, I've been staying up late. Because I can. I love it. I am most creative at night. I've finally started making actual progress on a writing project I've had in mind for a couple of years now. Sometimes I'm up till 4 or 5 AM.  But then, I wake up around 9 or 10, usually, which ends up being 4-6 hours of sleep. 

With my old work schedule, I'd sleep 7-9 hours and still feel exhausted. Now I'm getting 6 or less, usually, but feel...normal?

Other than the significantly reduced sleep, I'm not manic at all. I still laze in bed for the first couple hours after I wake up, checking those oh so important emails, reading articles and such. Motivate myself out of bed around noon, maybe go for a walk, perhaps even a jog if I'm feeling extra sprightly. Might tackle a proper workout or dive into a  project in the afternoon. Considering the fact that I get to be home most of the time, and my workload and stress level have been so substantially reduced, my goal-directed activity level seems downright sluggish. Certainly not manic. 

My best assumption is that, now that I"m living closer to my natural circadian rhythm, the sleep I get is more beneficial. But I dunno. Could I be dismissing a budding problem? 

TL; DR: Anyone else having concerns about their bipolar due to changes in routine? Quite interested to hear from others. 

Don't want to put this in the COVID subforum because i'ts rather specific to bipolar 

 

Edited by Rabbity9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I notice I sleep a lot less now that I’m not on sedating meds (I no longer take the olanzapine in my signature). I wake up super early without an alarm every morning. I just don’t need a full 8 hours sleep really, naturally. When I’m manic, I may sleep less but it is for a different reason. I can’t shut off my brain and i feel wired and restless. Sleeping becomes a chore instead of something I enjoy and look forward to. I do take trazadone to help me get to sleep at night a few days a week recently, but for the most part i just naturally drift off. I think I need the trazadone because of the wellbutrin, it’s pretty activating and I’m on a lower dose of latuda than I used to be so it’s not counteracting the wellbutrin like it used to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The changes in my routine have definitely affected me. Other pandemic-related things have too.

At first the pandemic paradoxically lifted my mood, I think for two reasons. First, I just tend to "switch on" during times of crisis. Second, I've been socializing a lot more since my friends (they all live in other states) have been forced to socialize primarily online. Also I think that I feel less lonely, because I've been experiencing my own low-to-mid-level crisis for six years now. It has felt weird, really really weird, for a global pandemic to have seemingly lifted my depression significantly. In terms of routine, it's more rigid now than it was before, and that's probably in some way beneficial.

After I got a letter from Social Security saying they were cutting off my benefits (I'm appealing that), my mood both plunged and became pretty unstable. That's where I'm at now, but of course it's completely unrelated to the pandemic. Except the pandemic makes it more stressful, because the appeal(s) will drag on. Plus it's already stressful enough to contemplate having to work when my doctors advise me not to, without having to try to find a job in the middle of the worst period of job loss in history.

About the changes in sleep you've experienced - it's probably something to keep an eye on, but you're already doing that. I've experienced hypomania without a reduced need for sleep, and I've experienced a reduced need for sleep without hypomania too. So.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Rabbity9 said:

Since the lockdown, I've been greatly enjoying my newly flexible schedule. Instead of 7AM-4PM, I can fulfill my responsibilities any time of day, as long as I answer emails within 24 hours of receiving them. And turns out, every hair-pulling (literally) element of my job is more or less gone, now that I can just answer the questions that people actually ask and care about the answer to.

I'm a hardcore night person. Going back to early childhood. Most 5 year olds wake their parents up in the morning, mine had to wake me up. So, I've been staying up late. Because I can. I love it. I am most creative at night. I've finally started making actual progress on a writing project I've had in mind for a couple of years now. Sometimes I'm up till 4 or 5 AM.  But then, I wake up around 9 or 10, usually, which ends up being 4-6 hours of sleep. 

With my old work schedule, I'd sleep 7-9 hours and still feel exhausted. Now I'm getting 6 or less, usually, but feel...normal?

Other than the significantly reduced sleep, I'm not manic at all. I still laze in bed for the first couple hours after I wake up, checking those oh so important emails, reading articles and such. Motivate myself out of bed around noon, maybe go for a walk, perhaps even a jog if I'm feeling extra sprightly. Might tackle a proper workout or dive into a  project in the afternoon. Considering the fact that I get to be home most of the time, and my workload and stress level have been so substantially reduced, my goal-directed activity level seems downright sluggish. Certainly not manic. 

My best assumption is that, now that I"m living closer to my natural circadian rhythm, the sleep I get is more beneficial. But I dunno. Could I be dismissing a budding problem? 

TL; DR: Anyone else having concerns about their bipolar due to changes in routine? Quite interested to hear from others. 

Don't want to put this in the COVID subforum because i'ts rather specific to bipolar 

 

I am a little concerned because my schedule is off .  I should have been asleep 2 hours ago and I took Xanax, Seroquel, and Temazepam. Plus my pandemic anxiety and the season change - all this could lead to a mixed state for me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2020 at 9:43 AM, saintalto said:

I notice I sleep a lot less now that I’m not on sedating meds (I no longer take the olanzapine in my signature). I wake up super early without an alarm every morning. I just don’t need a full 8 hours sleep really, naturally. When I’m manic, I may sleep less but it is for a different reason. I can’t shut off my brain and i feel wired and restless. Sleeping becomes a chore instead of something I enjoy and look forward to. I do take trazadone to help me get to sleep at night a few days a week recently, but for the most part i just naturally drift off. I think I need the trazadone because of the wellbutrin, it’s pretty activating and I’m on a lower dose of latuda than I used to be so it’s not counteracting the wellbutrin like it used to. 

Oh, the old med game. I get non-manic insomnia sometimes also, more anxiety based, and have tried Seroquel and ambien for it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2020 at 11:31 AM, 0112358 said:

The changes in my routine have definitely affected me. Other pandemic-related things have too.

At first the pandemic paradoxically lifted my mood, I think for two reasons. First, I just tend to "switch on" during times of crisis. Second, I've been socializing a lot more since my friends (they all live in other states) have been forced to socialize primarily online. Also I think that I feel less lonely, because I've been experiencing my own low-to-mid-level crisis for six years now. It has felt weird, really really weird, for a global pandemic to have seemingly lifted my depression significantly. In terms of routine, it's more rigid now than it was before, and that's probably in some way beneficial.

After I got a letter from Social Security saying they were cutting off my benefits (I'm appealing that), my mood both plunged and became pretty unstable. That's where I'm at now, but of course it's completely unrelated to the pandemic. Except the pandemic makes it more stressful, because the appeal(s) will drag on. Plus it's already stressful enough to contemplate having to work when my doctors advise me not to, without having to try to find a job in the middle of the worst period of job loss in history.

About the changes in sleep you've experienced - it's probably something to keep an eye on, but you're already doing that. I've experienced hypomania without a reduced need for sleep, and I've experienced a reduced need for sleep without hypomania too. So.

 

Oh that sounds so stressful! I'm sorry. It's downright inhumane to force someone to job hunt right now. I know nothing about SSDI, but I really hope something works out for you. 

 

The other day I slept over ten hours. Woke up and I still felt tired, so I went back to sleep. I definitely don't think mania is on the horizon, at the moment, just life as a person with an abnormal circadian rhythm adjusting to living without the outside world forcing her into a day person's schedule. I'm sure my doctor would tell me to try to stick to a routine sleep schedule, but nothing right now is routine. It's uncharted territory. There's too much to worry about in the outside world, so within my own little world here at home, I'm going to live like a cat. Sleep when tired, wake when there's something worth doing that's better than sleep. And I still really enjoy sleep, which is a good sign, because manic me resents sleep. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/17/2020 at 4:26 AM, bpladybug said:

I am a little concerned because my schedule is off .  I should have been asleep 2 hours ago and I took Xanax, Seroquel, and Temazepam. Plus my pandemic anxiety and the season change - all this could lead to a mixed state for me.  

It sounds like you're pretty self aware, which is good. Knowing patterns and triggers is a real asset. That's a lot of sedating meds to take and not be able to sleep, though. Have you been in touch with your doctor about it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2020 at 7:53 PM, Rabbity9 said:

It sounds like you're pretty self aware, which is good. Knowing patterns and triggers is a real asset. That's a lot of sedating meds to take and not be able to sleep, though. Have you been in touch with your doctor about it? 

I have learned over the years to be aware and manage my bipolar.  I could email my pdoc.  He always gets back to me.

But I am sure he is fine if I increase me Seroquel.  Last night I fell asleep without the temazepam which is a good sign.

thanks  Rabbity

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...