CrazyBoards.org

I've tried several tdocs 

First one in recent memory spent 2 sessions pretty much reading from a text book and drawing diagrams about how she planned to approach therapy (ACT in this instance) Then she began actual advice by telling me that if I had negative thoughts, to pretend to flick a light switch off. 

I asked if she was being sarcastic. She pushed the point trying to get me to try it, I cracked the shits, told her that it was one of the most ridiculous things I had ever fucking heard, might have called her a spastic and a few other things. 

She cried, said she felt 2 feet tall. I told her to flick a switch. 

That ended that tdoc relationship. Both because I didn't book back in. And apparently she resigned that day. She was in her 50s, unsure if she studied mature age, or had experience. 

The next one lasted 1 session. She asked me how many siblings I had. I said 3,but only keep in touch with 2. She asked me where I sit with age, and I said second youngest. She asked me to list them. I asked her if she wanted all, or just the ones that I am in contact with. She shrugged her shoulders and said "Just whatever" 

I said my oldest sisters name, and she butt in and said "And then you" 

I said no, I am second youngest. 

I started again with oldest sisters name. She did the same thing again. And again. Must have gone on 20 minutes. With lots of me yelling at her to fucking stop interrupting me. 

I finally got my point across holding up 4 fingers, and screaming our 4 names as quickly as possible. 

Much yelling ensued. I often wonder if this was a bullshit tdoc mind game, to elicit a response. I asked, or demanded, to see her degree. Yelling followed and she finally agreed to bring it to next appointment. I might have called her a spastic among other names. She said that I was scaring her. I said good, might make her listen. And she ended the appointment early, and resigned. 

I think that there was a couple of less memorable single appointments with others over the next few months. 

The last one started with sleep hygiene. Her words were "I can show you studies" 

I replied "please do" 

She spent a while dodging that and trying to change the subject. I kept reminding her that she promised studies. 

She ended up saying "I have no idea what to say to that!" 

So I told her I was OK with that, we could just sit there. Which I suspect she found threatening. We sat a few minutes, just looking at each other. And I felt quite comfortable, it was a nice chair. So I asked her to wake me up in 30 minutes, and let out a huge pre-nap fart. She cracked the shits and kicked me out. 

I'm just sitting here iso musing that I don't think tdocs should really act that way. I just googled psychologist reaction shocked and it only showed psychological shock, or reaction to description of abuse. 

Anyway, sometimes thinking about tdocs keeps me up at night, or leads to ruminating and general bad vibes. So I just wanted to attempt to exorcise some of that by typing it. 

Thanks for reading 

edited to add: it is quite difficult to get things like "extremely difficult patient" removed from your medical file

Edited by DogMan

I've given up on therapy for the time being also... most of mine have been mediocre at best, but the last dude I had was awful, a real asshat, super critical and label happy... I think 20 years of trying different people and a plethora of formats, I could be a therapist myself. Be your own guru, they say. I'm just puttering on alone I suppose. Therapy now makes me feel worse, honestly.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DogMan said:

I've tried several tdocs 

First one in recent memory spent 2 sessions pretty much reading from a text book and drawing diagrams about how she planned to approach therapy (ACT in this instance) Then she began actual advice by telling me that if I had negative thoughts, to pretend to flick a light switch off. 

I asked if she was being sarcastic. She pushed the point trying to get me to try it, I cracked the shits, told her that it was one of the most ridiculous things I had ever fucking heard, might have called her a spastic and a few other things. 

She cried, said she felt 2 feet tall. I told her to flick a switch. 

That ended that tdoc relationship. Both because I didn't book back in. And apparently she resigned that day. She was in her 50s, unsure if she studied mature age, or had experience. 

The next one lasted 1 session. She asked me how many siblings I had. I said 3,but only keep in touch with 2. She asked me where I sit with age, and I said second youngest. She asked me to list them. I asked her if she wanted all, or just the ones that I am in contact with. She shrugged her shoulders and said "Just whatever" 

I said my oldest sisters name, and she butt in and said "And then you" 

I said no, I am second youngest. 

I started again with oldest sisters name. She did the same thing again. And again. Must have gone on 20 minutes. With lots of me yelling at her to fucking stop interrupting me. 

I finally got my point across holding up 4 fingers, and screaming our 4 names as quickly as possible. 

Much yelling ensued. I often wonder if this was a bullshit tdoc mind game, to elicit a response. I asked, or demanded, to see her degree. Yelling followed and she finally agreed to bring it to next appointment. I might have called her a spastic among other names. She said that I was scaring her. I said good, might make her listen. And she ended the appointment early, and resigned. 

I think that there was a couple of less memorable single appointments with others over the next few months. 

The last one started with sleep hygiene. Her words were "I can show you studies" 

I replied "please do" 

She spent a while dodging that and trying to change the subject. I kept reminding her that she promised studies. 

She ended up saying "I have no idea what to say to that!" 

So I told her I was OK with that, we could just sit there. Which I suspect she found threatening. We sat a few minutes, just looking at each other. And I felt quite comfortable, it was a nice chair. So I asked her to wake me up in 30 minutes, and let out a huge pre-nap fart. She cracked the shits and kicked me out. 

I'm just sitting here iso musing that I don't think tdocs should really act that way. I just googled psychologist reaction shocked and it only showed psychological shock, or reaction to description of abuse. 

Anyway, sometimes thinking about tdocs keeps me up at night, or leads to ruminating and general bad vibes. So I just wanted to attempt to exorcise some of that by typing it. 

Thanks for reading 

edited to add: it is quite difficult to get things like "extremely difficult patient" removed from your medical file

Sounds like you did a bang up job of earning that noms de guerre.