CrazyBoards.org

I figured that I should repress my urges to get a cat, or another dog, or any mammal, really, so I got ants. That are surprisingly entertaining.

They come with a gel habitat that they burrow into, and you can watch their progress.

Day one:

46A91681-F8FE-4433-BCA2-5D22D390B24E.jpeg

Day two:

54002FA5-C08E-44A0-B7A7-ADE915583552.jpeg

I’m developing favorites. I know a mother should love all her children equally, but fuck that. Hershel is my favorite. Hershel is the one who’s doing the most interesting thing at any given time.

• Like 1

Make sure you get a queen. I’m not sure how you do that but my friend’s ant farm either died or just didn’t do much because she didn’t have a queen. This is when we were little though so I’m going on memory. 

My tube of ants did not come with a queen. I wonder where I could get a queen? I’m also unsure about how to handle it when they run low on unused gel. I think I can buy replacement gel, but how the hell I'm going to get it in there without losing all my tenants is an interesting problem.

2 hours ago, saintalto said:

Yikes. 

Indeed. I have never quite gotten over the time I saw the 1954 movie Them! as a young person:

image.jpeg.ac27bba8b5f224a68b64b16c40e643c5.jpeg

I have never wanted an ant farm.

10 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Indeed. I have never quite gotten over the time I saw the 1954 movie Them! as a young person:

image.jpeg.ac27bba8b5f224a68b64b16c40e643c5.jpeg

I have never wanted an ant farm.

I remember that movie. My mom used to rent old B-movies on video store dollar nights (they were nostalgic because she used to go see them at the theatre with her aunt when she was a kid). I’ve pretty much seen any monster/horror b-movie from the 50’s/early 60’s that was available on video.  

That’s a lot fancier ant farm that I remember. 

my mom got a bird feeder to entertain her. It’s outside a window near where she sits. It attracts all kinds of birds I didn’t realize lived around here. It’s pretty interesting to hear about and she loves it. I’m not as interested in birds as that, plus then I’d need to buy birdfeed, but it does sound appealing some days. 

Hershel has been very busy.

C457129E-30A4-4C7F-9442-7DDF212C8277.jpeg

9F5C537C-1B02-4461-98C4-383D298EEC4A.jpeg

8D0B7F69-343B-4EA5-B506-9FB604004BB1.jpeg

1E36EB35-8464-4D65-AD86-FC4C5C2BAF1C.jpeg

BAC79C15-19F0-4792-A017-FEFA9BC0896C.jpeg

At this point I am getting a little bit concerned about how much I’d like to know what it feels like to dig your way through that gel. 

0A19580D-2D3B-45BC-BC0D-43B796BC3CB0.jpeg

when i was a kid, i really, really wanted to know what it would feel like to dig through a pool of jello. after seeing this thread, it turns out i still really want to know.

On 4/30/2020 at 4:57 PM, sugarsugar said:

That’s a lot fancier ant farm that I remember. 

my mom got a bird feeder to entertain her. It’s outside a window near where she sits. It attracts all kinds of birds I didn’t realize lived around here. It’s pretty interesting to hear about and she loves it. I’m not as interested in birds as that, plus then I’d need to buy birdfeed, but it does sound appealing some days. 

Watching birds is peaceful and entertaining at the same time.  I like imagining the conversations they're having when they chirp back and forth.  If one lives in an area with bears (even in cities) one has to be careful because the bears are attracted to the birdseed on the ground and will pay up close and personal visits to get a snack.

The boys are still at it.

9E0F308E-E8B6-477F-A69D-F0791A7C0482.jpeg

51ACD2E9-DDBA-470C-8F63-9A52BC3C56AA.jpeg

01E059D3-A6F4-4615-82C3-C0BBDF7E5290.jpeg

This was when they had an impromptu dance party.

82A24A16-A89F-4BD2-93EB-13A7249BDEAA.jpeg

92D175F3-7FC6-4B3A-9510-F2F56F79A5D0.jpeg

Yeah that's way cooler than the one I got my kids years ago.

CLASSIC ANT FARM

I don’t know... in that picture, where Gears describes the ants all gathered at the top as having a dance party, when I first saw it I was struck with a sense of desperate horror. I imagined I could hear little clickety voices saying,

My God, it’s all jello - all the way to the center of the Earth! We reached the bottom and found nothing but ... jello! What kind of mad god makes an entire universe out of jello only to trap us within it  With no alternative but to try to eat our way out of it? Free will is an illusion! What a cruel, translucent, jiggly fate! Oh, the antity!

As I mentioned privately to Gears, the worst thing about living in a completely edible environment is that what goes in must eventually come out in another form. That is to say, the longer they tunnel the more of their environment they convert into their own waste product. Left long enough without an infusion of fresh goo, they will inevitably find themselves living in a labyrinth made entirely of their own dung.

That’s why ant farms are so fascinating - they’re a microcosm of human life.

• Haha 2