CrazyBoards.org

I’ve been on 15mg Abilify for about 7 days now and I’ve been getting pretty good results.  My agitation is pretty much 95% gone, my mood seems to be nice and stable, and no akathisia.  For the most part I feel kind of tired and nauseous at times but that’s all the side effects I have so far.  Except for the insomnia.  I’m currently on a small dose of seroquel for it, but I still find my sleep broken and I awaken early.  I would like to get off the seroquel as a) it doesn’t solve all my problems and b) I don’t know how I feel about taking 2 antipsychotics (I know the seroquel isn’t technically an aap at this dose but still).  Any suggestions on another sleep aid? Hopefully this is temporary.

17 minutes ago, Arj72 said:

I’ve been on 15mg Abilify for about 7 days now and I’ve been getting pretty good results.  My agitation is pretty much 95% gone, my mood seems to be nice and stable, and no akathisia.  For the most part I feel kind of tired and nauseous at times but that’s all the side effects I have so far.  Except for the insomnia.  I’m currently on a small dose of seroquel for it, but I still find my sleep broken and I awaken early.  I would like to get off the seroquel as a) it doesn’t solve all my problems and b) I don’t know how I feel about taking 2 antipsychotics (I know the seroquel isn’t technically an aap at this dose but still).  Any suggestions on another sleep aid? Hopefully this is temporary.

have you tried anything else to treat this? sometimes good old Benadryl can help this problem without the need for an additional Rx. Melatonin taken at a regular time each day can help to establish a rhythm as well. Beyond that, there are lots of different options to address sleep, including z-drugs (ambien, Lunesta, sonata), benzos (probably long acting ones if sleep maintenance is the issue: Restoril, valium, klonipin and more), other antihistamines like hydroxyzine, and antidepressants like Remeron or trazodone (which is really more of a sleep aid than an AD). I know that's a lot but I didn't want to start being specific about things you might have already tried 

1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

have you tried anything else to treat this? sometimes good old Benadryl can help this problem without the need for an additional Rx. Melatonin taken at a regular time each day can help to establish a rhythm as well. Beyond that, there are lots of different options to address sleep, including z-drugs (ambien, Lunesta, sonata), benzos (probably long acting ones if sleep maintenance is the issue: Restoril, valium, klonipin and more), other antihistamines like hydroxyzine, and antidepressants like Remeron or trazodone (which is really more of a sleep aid than an AD). I know that's a lot but I didn't want to start being specific about things you might have already tried 

I did a little more digging since I posted.  Should I be concerned about a low dose of doxepin?  Remeron makes me mixed and trazodone isn’t quite strong enough.  If not I may have to ask for a non-benzo sleep aid.  I have Valium but the sleepiness effect wears off too quick.

36 minutes ago, Arj72 said:

I did a little more digging since I posted.  Should I be concerned about a low dose of doxepin?  Remeron makes me mixed and trazodone isn’t quite strong enough.  If not I may have to ask for a non-benzo sleep aid.  I have Valium but the sleepiness effect wears off too quick.

I think it would definitely be worth consideration/bringing up with pdoc. there is actually a brand version, silenor, just for sleep maintenance. The dose they suggest is 3 to 6 mg half hour before bed, which is way lower than the antidepressant dosing. Interesting thing I just saw, they recommend taking it at least three hours  after a meal, because the meal effects metabolism in a way that can make you overly drowsy in the morning   

1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

I think it would definitely be worth consideration/bringing up with pdoc. there is actually a brand version, silenor, just for sleep maintenance. The dose they suggest is 3 to 6 mg half hour before bed, which is way lower than the antidepressant dosing. Interesting thing I just saw, they recommend taking it at least three hours  after a meal, because the meal effects metabolism in a way that can make you overly drowsy in the morning   

That is interesting.  I’ll give this another week to see if it goes on, but I’ll ask about those options and doxepin for sure.

Edited by Arj72