CrazyBoards.org
CrazyRedhead

Anybody's state/area starting to re-open?

Posted (edited)

Hope this post is in the right forum, mods feel free to move it if needed..........My state will be starting to reopen some things next Friday (May 15):....This is what our Gov considers "Phase 1"...There will be three phases in all.

Beauty salons and barbershops will be allowed to open (by appt only), at 50% capacity, and customers and staff must all wear masks.

Non-essential retail stores will be allowed to open at 50% capacity, and also masks.

Indoor gyms will stay closed, although they will be able to conduct exercise classes outside, with 10 participants only per class, spaced 10 feet apart with masks....Bowling alleys will stay closed.

Dine - in restaurants and "beverage serving" businesses will still be closed, although if they have a permit for outdoor dining spaces, the outdoor spaces will be allowed to operate at 50% capacity, with masks for staff, and tables spaced apart....Take out and delivery still allowed, as always has been.

Movie theatres, concerts, flea markets, sports events, and all outdoor venues that would attract mass crowds, still not allowed to open.

Beaches will be open with a "10 person limit", and will only allow fishing and walking exercise (no swimming or sunbathing allowed), although I'm not sure what the "10 person limit" on a beach would look like.....Our parks have never closed, although there is a heavy police presence, to prevent large gatherings.

Indoor places of worship will be allowed to reopen at 50% capacity..

All K-12 public schools will still be closed for the remainder of the academic year....Many colleges here are still in doubt what they should do this fall.

This "Phase 1", will last from 2-4 weeks, depending on the numbers........I'm not sure what "Phase 2" will look like.....Gov hasn't given details for that, yet.

I'm curious about other states....Anybody want to share what your state is doing as far as reopening things, or is everything non-essential still shut down where you are?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

We're going very slowly.  We're heading toward phase 1 (I don't know how many phases there are).  Currently there's a resumption of elective medical procedures and increased permitted outdoor activities (fishing, golf, tennis, etc.) so long as physical distancing can remain. 

The governor also just extended the state of emergency, declared schools closed for the remainder of the school year, and stated that all primary voting will be by mail. 

I think that's it for now. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

We're going very slowly.  We're heading toward phase 1 (I don't know how many phases there are).  Currently there's a resumption of elective medical procedures and increased permitted outdoor activities (fishing, golf, tennis, etc.) so long as physical distancing can remain. 

The governor also just extended the state of emergency, declared schools closed for the remainder of the school year, and stated that all primary voting will be by mail. 

I think that's it for now. 

If I remember right,  your state is right next door to us......Our elective surgeries have also resumed.....IMO, our Democratic Gov has been pressured by State Senate Republicans to open up at least some businesses.....And there have also been a number of protests here in favor of re-opening.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Yes, I think so.  I’ve actually been fairly happy with our republican governors approach to all of this, which I didn’t expect to say.  It’s a tough balance to walk.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

It’s a tough balance to walk.

Yes, it is tough to decide what to do......Our numbers don't exactly look great.....As of today, we have 23,196 cases, 3164 hospitalizations, and 827 deaths.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

reportedly hospitalizations and ICU usage is steady.

Well, possibly that's a hopeful sign, if those numbers seem stable.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

2 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Well, that's a hopeful sign, at least.

Yeah, looking at the numbers, there are 9 fewer people hospitalized over the past twenty-four hours.

That's the main metric our governor wanted to look at - hospitalizations and ICU usages - before expanding the reopening.  He seems to be of the "people are going to keep getting it, it's just how we handle it"  philosophy.  I can see it, even as it scares me that there were 1100 new cases.

We are also reopening in stages.  I am not sure exactly how the stages are being handled because I get too nervous about the news.  

so I read the executive order (I'm a nerd like that) and it looks like the elective surgery and public recreational activities is the only change right now.

I do appreciate that they keep DV victims/people whose home is not safe and people who are homeless explicitly out of the stay at home order, with the disclaimer that someone should try to find them a home, even if temporary.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

I do appreciate that they keep DV victims/people whose home is not safe and people who are homeless explicitly out of the stay at home order, with the disclaimer that someone should try to find them a home, even if temporary.

Yes, that's definitely a good thing.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

We are shut down until June, and we personally started staying home the first week in March

so it will be 3 months for us...............in a tiny condo

the Gov is allowing some recreational boating and golfing and hiking

restaurants are still take-out only

elective medicine will start mid May

we have done a good job of flattening the curve

• Like 1

I counted. Today is day fifty three for us, my husband and me, of going nowhere except for food once a week, and twice to the pharmacy. I don’t know when to expect an end.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Gearhead said:

I counted. Today is day fifty three for us, my husband and me, of going nowhere except for food once a week, and twice to the pharmacy. I don’t know when to expect an end.

So sorry, Gear.....I hope things improve soon where you are.

I live in Canada, and from what I understand, my province (Ontario) is slowly reopening. Hard to say for sure as I don’t have cable TV which makes it harder to keep up with the news. Online articles can often be wrong, I’ve found. 

I think it’s too soon. I may have the unpopular opinion here, and I know a lot of people are tired of quarantine, I am too. I feel like reopening things so soon is just asking for more trouble though. Did we learn nothing from the Spanish flu in the 1920’s? My mom and I were just talking about that the other day, actually 🤔

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, FairyBelle said:

I live in Canada, and from what I understand, my province (Ontario) is slowly reopening. Hard to say for sure as I don’t have cable TV which makes it harder to keep up with the news. Online articles can often be wrong, I’ve found. 

I think it’s too soon. I may have the unpopular opinion here, and I know a lot of people are tired of quarantine, I am too. I feel like reopening things so soon is just asking for more trouble though. Did we learn nothing from the Spanish flu in the 1920’s? My mom and I were just talking about that the other day, actually 🤔

It definitely is tough to weigh everything, and decide when the right time is........Yes, I think it is a bit soon, too, for things to start opening....Many (although certainly not all) states here are trying to reopen carefully..........It's really difficult....Even if things do reopen, will people feel comfortable going?.........IMO, I think most people will not be totally comfortable for quite a while.

Even when things reopen, the virus will still be around, until an efficient vaccine is available, and "herd immunity" is achieved.

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/achieving-herd-immunity-with-covid19.html

Edited by CrazyRedhead

10 hours ago, Gearhead said:

Pretty much the same. We're at day 51 of stay at home order in my segment of the state, which has been the most hard hit. Last week I drove for the first time in 7 weeks, because husband has been doing the shopping. I keep looking at the trajectory animations and my county is basically plateaued near the top for new daily cases, so I don't know when the lock down will end. It will be at least until June 4 per the governor, but I imagine longer. He is opening counties up by regions based on number of cases, and doing it in gradual phases of red, yellow and green. We're still in the red phase. Some counties in another part of the state have threatened to go rogue and open up, but the governor is slapping them down and threatening various sanctions for counties and businesses that don't comply.

the state of emergency in my province (bc) officially ends tonight, which means that lots of things will be slowly opening up soon. from what i read on the government site, medical stuff is opening up, including elective surgery, dentistry, physiotherapy and in-person counselling. recreational spaces like libraries and parks and museums are also opening. lots of office people are going back to work, though they're suggesting staggering shifts so not everyone is in the office at once. also barbers, salons, etc.

lots of people are worried that this is just going to cause another outbreak. we haven't been hit nearly as hard as ontario and quebec -- only 2353 cases and 130 deaths. i'm going back to work this saturday, so we'll see how it goes.

52 minutes ago, echolocation said:

i'm going back to work this saturday, so we'll see how it goes.

Wishing you the best....Hope everything goes well at work..

• Thanks 1