CrazyBoards.org

Wonderful.Cheese

Does your pdoc return your phone calls?

Does your pdoc or his or her nurse return your phone call when you call with a question about a med or something like reoccurrence of or worsening of symptoms (and calls are rare too and only made when absolutely necessary)?

I never get a call back from my pdoc’s nurse. I don’t know what she has against me. I very rarely call, and when I do it’s important about a med question. I don’t call about anything else like reoccurrence of or worsening of symptoms. I’ve given up on that luxury dream world. Is it because I go to a county clinic? I still pay for services every month and my insurance through husband pays too. I’m sick of being treated this way.

I’m not asking for much, am I? And sadly, we can’t afford to go elsewhere with the huge debt to the county MH dept. and then another private copay on top of that. We are already doing that for therapy because of budget cuts at the county clinic. (I really want to go to a private practice though :() But I fear people would take one look at my DX (treatment resistant SZA) and say.....no way! It was hard enough finding a tdoc to accept me.

Posted (edited)

I can't do anything but make an appointment to talk about things like meds and symptoms.  When I call, it is often hard to get a call back about appointments, but my clinic was started by somebody who had retired, and I think they don't keep a very large office staff.  I often have to call multiple times.  Some nurse practitioner that I saw gave me an email address because the office was hard to get ahold of.  I go to a private practice clinic.  

It is kind of annoying, but it is pretty easy to get seen if things are urgent.  If nothing else, they'll probably squeeze you in if you show up, if you can wait.  

Edited by Banana Smurf

Cheese I don't know what to say about the calls. They should be returning them. Sometimes  the nurses at the treatment place here are overwhelmed and it takes 2 days. Can you email your pdoc directly? That's what I do when I have a problem and dr. usually gets back in the same day. In terms of getting accepted by a private tdoc, I just wanted you to know that I see a private tdoc and he had no hesitation when I told him my DX. You just need to shop around and ask the therapist if they have experience with helping people with DXs similar to yours.

When I was with my old pdoc I called often. Mostly because I was off the charts psychotic. She never controlled my symptoms right, and also, during that time I was in school and under a lot of stress. She would call me back, either by the end of the work day, or if it was after hours she would call within an hour or so. So she was pretty good about it.

With my current pdoc of 3 years, I have only called once regarding symptoms, and was called promptly (within an hour). 

I have spoken to her secretary multiple times regarding my blood work being sent to pharmacy (re: clozapine). 

A point to remember is that anticholinergics cause sweating, sometimes profuse

I get calls back during his work or after. Same day if they are serious and next day if they are not.

Apoint to remember is that the doc does not get paid while on the phone. They have no motivation to make patient calls.

Posted (edited)

I go to a private psychiatric clinic.....My pdoc usually returns my phone calls the same day, or the day after.....If it's a thing about me needing to refill a medication or something simple like that, a nurse usually calls me back the same day......I have never waited more than a day for a call back from my pdoc.

My therapist (also private practice) always calls back the same day if I'm having problems.

@Wonderful.Cheese, I realize your county clinic might be busy, but I think somebody should return your calls within a reasonable time.

If you decide you might want to start looking for a new pdoc, here's a site that I found helpful in finding a new therapist....However, the link below is for psychiatrists and psychiatric nurse practitioners.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/psychiatrists

All you need to do is enter your zip code.......It even lists the insurance that the pdoc accepts, although it would probably be a good idea to call and double check about the insurance, because I'm not sure how often the site updates that info.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

My pdoc is private and has an office manager (who is not a nurse.) if I email about non medial stuff (appointments etc.) she usually gets back to me in a few days. If I email about medical issues or leave a message he will typically call me back either that night or the next - obviously depending on the importance and what time of day I get the message in. I’ve had four pdocs and none had a dedicated nurse, so my view is probably skewed. Also, for my first three + years being seen i was in or near crisis mode almost constantly... and I was also a minor, so the poor docs were fielding calls and emails from my parents too 

Wonderful Cheese, I definitely don't think you're asking too much, and I'm sorry your calls aren't being returned. I also try not to bug my pdoc (who also does therapy) with too many calls.

When I first started seeing him I used to email him once in a while, so one day I asked if it was okay, and if I was abusing my privilege. He said no, but that I should call and leave a message instead. The email is first seen by the office staff (multi-doc private practice with admin, not nurses), while the voicemails go straight to him.

He's been great about returning calls, especially when I've been in crisis. Other than an orthopedic surgeon who called a day or two after surgery, I've never had a doctor of any stripe call me back, and I have been to the doctor a lot for various ailments.

Like the others have said, email may be a better bet. Can you bring it up at your next visit with your pdoc and find out what the ground rules and expectations are? The pdoc may not be aware that the nurse isn't returning calls.

I wonder, too, if the pdoc knows you aren’t getting calls, or why. I’ve always gotten calls. Years ago I was in crisis for a month and called daily, which I now know is bad to their thinking. But I always got a call from the nurse. Now there’s a patient portal and secure email. My pdoc replies same day or if he’s away, his nurse or another pdoc respond. I think that is an expectation. If you haven’t mentioned it to the pdoc, I would start there, maybe there’s some other way to get in touch, or something.